Paph. henryanum v. album

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beautiful! To reiterate someone else's suggestion, given the glacial growth rate of the plants under discussion, I think it makes sense to put the pollen from Lien's plant on a regular henryanum, giving F1 progeny. Then selfings/sibbing on those would produce some alba progeny ["alba" or whatever it is called] progeny with improved vigor, we would hope. I believe this strategy has been used for suk alba and besseae flava. [again, pardon if I got the official names wrong]
JC

Beautiful! To reiterate someone else's suggestion, given the glacial growth rate of the plants under discussion, I think it makes sense to put the pollen from Lien's plant on a regular henryanum, giving F1 progeny. Then selfings/sibbing on those would produce some alba progeny ["alba" or whatever it is called] progeny with improved vigor, we would hope. I believe this strategy has been used for suk alba and besseae flava. [again, pardon if I got the official names wrong]
JC

JC is absolutly right. Selfing would not be the best thing to do. I have grown one of the seedlings and it is very slow. Grows one root, one dies. Just sits there. This variety needs some vigour!

Some henryanum album selfings were very vigorous in fact. The problem comes when the sellers start to sell the runts because they are expensive ( and they keep the good growing ones to sell in bloom to wealthy customers).

In response to Roth, so it is not always genetics of the varieties of plants. (rather that of the sellers)
Glad to hear that some are vigorous.
I like both the album and the regular on henryanum.
JC

In response to Roth, so it is not always genetics of the varieties of plants. (rather that of the sellers)
Glad to hear that some are vigorous.
I like both the album and the regular on henryanum.
JC

Actually yes, when doing flasks, everyone knows that there is a percentage of very fast growers, a percentage of good growers, and a percentage of very bad growers. For Maudiae type crosses, there are very bad good growers. For many species, and some Complex paphs crosses, there can be a very large percentage of runts. I would say that, if the lab is good at germination, the runt percentage is never less than 20%. So it is discarded if it is a Pinnochio cross from your Auntie, but for albinos, or FCC parents, the sellers will ask the lab for every single seedlings, including runts. In my experience too, the fastest will bloom in 1-3 years, the slowest over a decade.

There is another misconception too that selfings are less vigorous. It could be the case, if you try to grow the runts. But the good growers from a selfings are growing quite well. Some Siblings are more vigorous, because they involve two different colonies/populations, with different ancestry. As a result, those species seedlings are quite close technically to an F1 hybrid. That's why some roth crosses are very vigorous, some are much less to be honest.

Remember rothschildianum Charles E. x Borneo. The first ones to bloom, the Fccs Ams and AQ were the most vigorous. Jack and Val Tonkin sold Charles E x Borneo for over two decades, including smaller plants of 20-30 cm. Even others traders offered those plants in the 90's 2000's... They were seedlings from the original seed capsule that gave the AQ... Whilst the AQ plants had bloomed at least a dozen times, some plants from the same capsule were still 20cm leafspan.

Henryanum album, I have seen those in Germany, the first batch, and they were fast growers, about 8-10cm leafspan a few months out of flask... That was maybe 6-8 years ago.

About 5 or 6 different ones so far. Every 2-3 years they find a new one in the wild. Quite frequently they find a semialbum or Christae form in the wild, about once or twice a year. Most originate from Vietnam (like yours...). Luckily henryanum album is a really valuable plant. helenae and tranlienianum albums are in fact an (expensive) joke. Only this year, it is the blooming season of helenae, and I got offers for about 8 different ones in bloom.

When they are not in bloom, the traders have green leafed helenae and tranlienianum possibly album for sale nonstop... Helenae and tranlienianum album can be considered as common. On the other side, coccineum and henryanum album are very rare, and esquirolei album is really extremely rare (since I am in Vietnam, dozen of thousands of collected plants bloomed and offered everywhere, I have seen only one real one).

I've noticed that helenae album is quite common, as is jackii album.

the true malipoense album however, still seems to be quite rare...do you find this to be true?

. Only this year, it is the blooming season of helenae, and I got offers for about 8 different ones in bloom.

Can you show me please the 8 different helenae Photos this year.

I've noticed that helenae album is quite common, as is jackii album.

the true malipoense album however, still seems to be quite rare...do you find this to be true?

Helenae album is extremely common, tranlienianum album is quite common...

Jackii 'album' in the trade is very common, it is a specific colony, last month I have been offered over 100 plants from it again. However, the jackii album, real album, are very rare. Most of those 'jackii album' in the trade have even a dash of pink or purple on the staminodium....

Malipoense album is extremely rare, I know of several plants with green leaves, but only 3 proven albinos. I bought two from Kunming, that were grown to huge clumps over there, and sold to several people. Like many rare things, especially albinos, the divisions were sold without a clonal name, so several different cultivars are in fact the same plant...

Can you show me please the 8 different helenae Photos this year.

I don't take photos of plants that I don't buy, but they are still around, the sellers cannot sell those. The price in Hanoi is 50USD/plant in bloom, 100USD for a good one. Got an offer for two more this afternoon... It is not an interesting plant from the wild in fact...

I have one photo to share with all of you.

_DSC0008.jpg

Hello Cxcanh,
do you have another helenae album clones ?

Nice! The album henry's look like they should glow in the dark :p Still prefer the colored in this case, but if the album becomes more readily available I wouldn't mind adding some interesting variation to my collection!

I'm sorry I just have photos of that plant only. Hope this year I have another album Paph flower to share with you

Latest posts

Back