Paph helenae...

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the comments :)

It's awfully cute, Fren. Are you going to breed with it to make "teacups"?

I'm not sure. I have one complex Paph Mukoyama Green in bud. Mukoyama Green isn't really round with broad segments. I think Paph Lippewunder and another complex are in sheath. Lippewunder was mutated first blooming, but not sure if that is permanent yet

I already have a maturing phrag pod to flask. my first slipper pod

Thanks for the comments :)
I'm not sure. I have one complex Paph Mukoyama Green in bud. Mukoyama Green isn't really round with broad segments. I think Paph Lippewunder and another complex are in sheath. Lippewunder was mutated first blooming, but not sure if that is permanent yet

I already have a maturing phrag pod to flask. my first slipper pod
I think that would be an interesting cross, though maybe not so round -- could be an advantage.

Good luck with your slipper pod.

There are not enough helenae around yet.
May be you should trade pollen with another person & making more helenae babies first.
And if this one is your only helenae, it would be a good reason to make more of them.

I'm suprised the bloom already is begining to wilt, which makes it one of my shortest lived paph blooms. I always thought the green leafed paphs had longer lasting blooms though. Hopefully next time its bloom will last longer. Possibly it is b/c of my low humidity or the small size of the plant
In comparison my parvi paph Wossner Butterfly still looks great.

The bloom did turn bright yellow though. Since it is gotten wilted I didn't photo

I really like this species, Fren and you've photographed it beautifully, too! If it's a young plant, it's probably best that you didn't put a capsule on it. However, on the next blooming, it would be great to make more helenae's. You could still put it's pollen onto another flower to make a hybrid.

Yes, harvest the pollen right away, once the bloom deteriorates, the pollen will get bad (if stay on the flower) really fast too

Might be your humidity and temps, mine last quite long and I grow cool and humid. I looked and most of mine are the same cross (4x5) I also have (8 x little giant) all from ching hua.

Kyle

Latest posts

Back