Paph. helenae 'Charlie' 2017

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John M

Orchid Addict
Reaction score
A great blooming this year. The last flower finished about a week ago.
DSC06203-2.JPG

DSC06212-2%20Paph.%20helenae%20'Charlie'-1.JPG

Last edited:
What a great display. It is still the best helenae I have ever seen. The colour is wonderful and the form is perfect. It is forming a lovely clump now.

My two helenae's have really picked up since I put them in a small basket.

Sorry guys. Yeah, Photobucket messed with my photos. I've deleted everything off PB now. I am not paying US$400.00 a year for a basic service they used to provide for free. I joined Flickr and uploaded the photos; but, I can't get them to appear in my post. I'm not very technically-minded AND I'm using my new computer (I HATE all the changes!!!) and I'm using a new broadband Internet connection. So, at this point, I'm presuming that the issue is something I'm doing wrong. 'Will work on it later today. Thanks.

Sorry guys. Yeah, Photobucket messed with my photos. I've deleted everything off PB now. I am not paying US$400.00 a year for a basic service they used to provide for free. I joined Flickr and uploaded the photos; but, I can't get them to appear in my post. I'm not very technically-minded AND I'm using my new computer (I HATE all the changes!!!) and I'm using a new broadband Internet connection. So, at this point, I'm presuming that the issue is something I'm doing wrong. 'Will work on it later today. Thanks.

Use the bbcode link when you click on the share button and copy and paste here. Like here

DSC06212-2 Paph. helenae 'Charlie' by John Marcotte, on Flickr

Last edited:
Thanks Ibn. However, Flickr doesn't seem to like my new computer, or my browser, or my server. I finally tried uploading the photos to my website and copying and pastingthe URLs from there. It worked!

38295039081_1e094316d7_z.jpg

So, as you can see, I finally got a photo on Flickr to appear in my post. However, it's quite small and I can't figure out why, or how to make it 100%. *sigh!*

Thanks Ibn. However, Flickr doesn't seem to like my new computer, or my browser, or my server. I finally tried uploading the photos to my website and copying and pastingthe URLs from there. It worked!

I'll send you an email later on how to do it via flickr.

Well done on blooming that little guy.

Thank you all.

Mike, I allow it to become nearly completely dry in between each watering, all year 'round. In the summer that means it might need watering every 3 or 4 days. It's in a 6" net pot filled with 1/2 perlite and 1/2 CHC. In the winter, it might not need watering more than once a week; or even less often! I have not had supplemental lighting in my greenhouse. However, I hope to get the electrical work done soon and give the plants some HPS supplemental light for 4 hours each late afternoon through to the mid part of February. In that case, my watering frequency may have to increase. I often tell when it needs watering by picking it up briefly to feel the weight. When that potting mix is saturated, the pot is HEAVY. When the mix is dry, the pot feels like a feather.

Last edited:
Thank you all.

Mike, I allow it to become nearly completely dry in between each watering, all year 'round. In the summer that means it might need watering every 3 or 4 days. It's in a 6" net pot filled with 1/2 perlite and 1/2 CHC. In the winter, it might not need watering more than once a week, even more! I have not had supplemental lighting in my greenhouse. However, I hope to get the electrical work done soon and give the plants some HPS supplemental light for 4 hours each late afternoon through to the mid part of February. In that case, my watering frequency may have to increase. I often tell when it needs watering by picking it up briefly to feel the weight. When that potting mix is saturated, the pot is HEAVY. When the mix is dry, the pot feels like a feather.

Thanks John. That's pretty much how I treat mine. After seeing yours last year I put one in a net pot as well but I used fine bark/charcoal which seems to dry out very quickly. In hindsight I probably should have included some more moisture hold material but I'm hesitant to disturb it!

Latest posts

Back