Paph. hainanense

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, beautiful flower and a very healthy plant. Very impressive growing. All eaves are intact. Love it.

This info you shared to us is golden. If your Ca is 44 ppm, then it is even greater than your nitrogen.

This is great info.

Salamat.

Should be approx 130ppm additional to what is in your water. Somewhat higher than I would have added- but in the ballpark. And totally agree, "feed weakly - weekly" should be rephased to "feed very weakly - always".

Hi Bjorn,

Seems like there tap water is so low in calcium only 44 ppm. I noticed that when I added citric acid to lower ph, the total ppm lowered a few points, very few but just wondering if the acid was cancelling some salts.

Hi Bjorn,

Seems like there tap water is so low in calcium only 44 ppm. I noticed that when I added citric acid to lower ph, the total ppm lowered a few points, very few but just wondering if the acid was cancelling some salts.

Might be an effect of the chelating by the citric acid. Interesting observation. Does not remove salts, just makes them "inconductive"

Might be an effect of the chelating by the citric acid. Interesting observation. Does not remove salts, just makes them "inconductive"

I made a solution yesterday having 7.2 pH and 375 ppm before adjusting the ph. After dropping a few grain of citric acid, the ph went down to 6.2 and the ppm to 353. Could it be that H+ had increase or the NO- decreased? Maybe it resulted to more ammonium? Just guessing, we have good chemists here maybe they can explain.

Hi Bjorn,

Just a guess, but maybe the citric acid is binding with Ca to form insoluble Calcium Citrate which would not register on your EC meter. In other words you're getting precipitation.

Just a guess, but maybe the citric acid is binding with Ca to form insoluble Calcium Citrate which would not register on your EC meter. In other words you're getting precipitation.

Will this be visible in the solution like tiny white powder?

Will this be visible in the solution like tiny white powder?

Yes it would:) btw my comment about the chelating, well that may happen with the metal ions like calcium and magnesium, normally not with ammonium or anions like nitrate;)

Yes it would:) btw my comment about the chelating, well that may happen with the metal ions like calcium and magnesium, normally not with ammonium or anions like nitrate;)

Did you notice precipitation? I only add a few grain of it. Didn't expect the precipitation.

Ok, you may get calcium citrate precipitation in relatively concentrated solutions (like stock solutions). I always keep magnesium and calcium salts apart from the rest until it is mixed into the feed at e.g. 50ppm (mg/l). Then it will not precipitate. But stronger solutions may, depending on the concentration.

And if you get a precipitation, you will see a precipitation if you leave it to stand for a day or two.

Latest posts

Back