Paph gratrixianum 'Geyserland' AM/AOC

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emydura

Reaction score
Awarded today. Just my 2nd award and first AM. I decided to have it judged after Mick (QuietAustralian) pointed out to me recently that gratrixianum 'Ratcliffe' received an AM award last year. Now I have the 'Ratcliffe' clone and it is not a patch on 'Geyserland'. If that was worth an AM then the 'Geyserland' clone was worth an AM minimum I thought; and so it proved to be. You can see the 2 clones in the bottom photo (old photo). Geyserland is the real tall clone, which is one of its great attributes along with the dorsal.

Paph gratrixianum 'Geyserland' AM/AOC

gratrixianum20122com.jpg

gratrixianum2012com.jpg

gratrixianum20123com.jpg

Paph gratrixianum 'Geyserland' AM/AOC compared to gratrixianum 'Ratcliffe' AM/AOC (bottom flowers) - from a previous flowering.

gratrixianumcombined2009.jpg

Nice and wide, pleasing colors, perfect symmetry.

That's an awardable combination:clap::clap:

How big is this flower David?

I've admired this plant since the first time you posted it. congrats.

'Ratcliffe" is pretty nice too.

Nice and wide, pleasing colors, perfect symmetry.

That's an awardable combination:clap::clap:

How big is this flower David?

7.5 cm wide by 8.0 cm long.

Nice David! Very worthy of the AM. Do you know if the 'Geyserland' clone is from line breeding?

I'm not sure Rick. My guess is it is not. I think this clone has been around a while. I remember Tom posted an amazing photo of the 'Geyserland' clone from a Japanese show with 6 flowers. So it is quite widespread. This clone has been used a bit in line breeding here. I know of a few people with gratrixianum seedlings with 'Geyserland' as a parent. It is surprising it hasn't been awarded before. Lucky for me I guess.

7.5 cm wide by 8.0 cm long.

I'm not sure Rick. My guess is it is not. I think this clone has been around a while. I remember Tom posted an amazing photo of the 'Geyserland' clone from a Japanese show with 6 flowers. So it is quite widespread. This clone has been used a bit in line breeding here. I know of a few people with gratrixianum seedlings with 'Geyserland' as a parent. It is surprising it hasn't been awarded before. Lucky for me I guess.

Until the award bill comes in!!:poke:

Veeery nice. :drool:
I really like gratrixianum and I wouldn't mind stealing both of yours. It'll be a bit of walk though since Australia is far away... Maybe I should take my bike. :wink:

No wonder it's so hard to get an award down under! If that was the case here I'd never get an award!

The local orchid society considers its brings prestige to the organisation when members plants gets awarded, so they are happy to pay the costs. We don't tend to get huge numbers of awards, largely because we don't have enough judges internally to award our plants at monthly meetings. Therefore, we have very limited opportunities to get things awarded. Given the costs of awards well outweigh annual subscriptions, that could be a good thing. :)

Back