Paph. Formosa Lady (or not)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swamprad

Memphis Orchid Society
Reaction score
This is the long awaited first blooming of my Formosa Lady. However, it looks quite different from another Formosa Lady posted on here a while back. So perhaps my tag is wrong. What do you think?

4475499764_43650da912_b.jpg

Formosa Lady is sanderianum x susan booth i think. and susan booth is roth x praestans..? so this is (roth x praestans) x sanderianum)... hmm maybe, looks kinda like a st swithin hybrid or something with some philippinense in it...

Some clones of sanderianum the petals go straight down without much 'shoulder'. One normally hopes this trait is not expressed in the next generation. Your plant got it full strength. I would say yes, the putative parentage is plausible. Your tag is probably right. I like the color contrast, not too fond of the petal angle.

Here is my Formosa Lady. It is hard to believe they are the same hybrid. My plant is what you would anticipate a Formosa Lady to look like - something approaching a PEOY. Your plant seems to have a lot of phillipinense in it which isn't a parent of Formosa Lady. I can see praestans as well. If it was a primary hybrid I would have guessed praestans x phillipinense. As it is a secondary hybrid you will see some variation but it is almost a little too hard to believe this is Formosa Lady.

http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15461

David

Last edited:
Whatever the case, I like it, though I would prefer the petals didn't curve at the end.

Latest posts

Back