Paph delenatii vinicolor (Dunkel) seedlings from flask Oct 2009

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Super looking plants! Thanks for the details about your culture. I'd never get that kind of growth in my greenhouse. It's too cold and there are too many cloudy/short days. It would take me 3 or 4 years to see that kind of progress from flask. As much as I love my greenhouse, I was a better grower of many types when I grew under lights.

I wonder if this form has fragrance on the flowers? I saw a page on Orchids Limited Youtube video that says it retains the delenatii fragrances.

Paphman910

Me again:
@ThePaphman:
Would you care to share any secrets (if you have any) regarding your delenatii compost? Anything in there we wouldn't expect?

I'll be following this up with a few pictures later, since your success triggered the urge to try myself....

Me again:
@ThePaphman:
Would you care to share any secrets (if you have any) regarding your delenatii compost? Anything in there we wouldn't expect?

I'll be following this up with a few pictures later, since your success triggered the urge to try myself....

They are growing in a mix of sphagnum moss, coconut husk chunks, perlite, charcoal at a ratio of 1:1:1:1. Also add a bit of dolomite lime during spring after repotting. The coconut husk chunks were pre-soaked many times in pure water to remove tanins and later soaked in Calcium Nitrate and then Magnesium Sulphate. I would water with fertilizer water every other week from late March to September. I used a Plant Prod 20-20-20 at half strength + magnesium sulphate + calcium nitrate.

You should repot them yearly in the spring and seems to give them a growth spurt!

I repotted a few of my delenatii today and the roots anchored to the coconut husk chunks. The roots are thick and healthy!

When I started growing these seedling from flask, the medium was just sphagnum moss and coconut husk at a ratio of 1:1. As the seedling started to produce longer and thicker roots I started incorporate more perlite and charcoal.

Under my moist condition I added fine bark and the seedling didn't respond well because it decayed very rapidly and the new leaf got smaller.

I have a feeling that these delenatii vinicolor (Dunkel) doesn't really like very acidic medium.

I am in the process of repotting all my delenatii vinicolor right now and it is becoming a big job to do!

Paphman910

Thanks for sharing. These must be the fastest and healthiest seedlings delenatii vini growing from flask in 18 months. Fantastic. I had a flask purchased from ChingHua Sept 2008 and the seedlings are only half that size. I think I should start growing indoor with that kind of growing condition "recipe" .

Here’s my little set-up! Seeing all the current F.S. delenatii albino plants in Europe, I remembered this post right here, and decided to try myself. I’ll talk you through the pictures, and my ideas behind how I dealt with handling this “trial”.
These picture show the seedlings just hours after I found (and bought) them. Good-looking youngsters, I felt. Knowing normal delenatii from sowing I know they can have a tendency to stealth, which basically comes down to sowing techniques.
5693663364_06dc762eca_b.jpg

These plants here have the same problem, which I’m overcoming by removing all “Stem-covering-leafs”, that are not helping the plant by sending it into bonsai-shape. I need these stems to start rooting. Even now, as a seedling these plants force me into using lager containers than I normally would have.
5693660608_4626a19d98_z.jpg

5693091209_2381a91d80_z.jpg

This is after first inspection (and yes, we do have some (if few) very woolly guest!!!) and sorting into 2 groups of strong, and even stronger plants.
5693091473_238d8400e4_b.jpg

Next up is compost composition. Now, I did not copy the paphmans way, but took onboard what he said, and slightly tweaked things around my remaining collection, as well as paying credit to my “stealth-problem”. What you see here is a mix containing a shredded CHC or cocofiber/cork base, perlite as well as some vermiculite, crushed oyster shells some seramis. The nature of my remaining collection dictates frequent watering, so I had to keep my version a bit more on the “nice and airy side”.
5693091855_f938f272c4_z.jpg

All mixed up!
5693661940_915ef333c9_z.jpg

As mentioned all these plants are slightly over-potted, plus set rather sunk into their pots. I’m hoping to buy them some more time for proper rooting as well as give the time for at least 2 new leafs before re-potting into a more coarse mixture. My focus right now is very much on getting these stems to root properly. For the fun of it, and to later compare I potted half of them in plastic, the other half in clay pots.
5693662178_71cf68037f_z.jpg

And there you have it! May the force be with us!!!
5693662476_9c4e3d1314_z.jpg

5693662756_50a3c25665_z.jpg

5693663014_c0455ed500_z.jpg

I’ll get back to you once I have found them a decent spot in the conservatory and murdered these unwanted little white woollies.

Last edited by a moderator:
John Boy....Wow nice seedlings!:drool::drool:

The first photo of the delenatii was in need of repotting! Glad you repotted them at this time of the year.:clap::clap: It was long overdue from the photos!

Use a pesticide to get rid of the mealy bugs as soon as possible. Keep a lookout for mites as well!

Make sure you water them and keep them moist at this time of the year!

Let me know how it goes and good luck!

P.S. I think luck is on your side as these seedlings are very healthy!

Paphman910

Back