Is this Paph fairrieanum a seedling, 4N, or just small?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morja

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought this Paph fairrieanum from a seller that usually sells BS plants, so I didn't read the description close enough and assumed that a 2" pot meant it's just a compact plant... ha.
It has a decent amount of leaves, but it only had like 3 roots when I repotted. I have read that they sometimes have smaller root systems, so I'm not sure how much of an issue that really is.
I found ONE super old photo from somebody with a multigrowth blooming plant that looked compact like this here on Slippertalk (I'll try to find it, it was a pretty old post) and another post asking if a similar blooming plant was 4N on Orchidboard. (Here) I'm just a bit mystified because any Google image or grower search result shows bigger leaves 99% of the time. I'm not well acquainted with what a true seedling would look like either.
This plant is supposedly 'Tower' x 'Better Half Yet' but I can't find either parent on AOS or OrchidRoots. Anyone familiar with those?
So, is this a BABY baby? Or did I just get a compact plant?
I'm treating it almost like a phrag, but no wet feet and lower light. Lots of RO water flushes.
20240603_080437.jpg

When I see, or read, 2” pot, I am generally thinking a young seedling.
Young seedlings in my experience do not have large root systems.
It could be anywhere from one year to 6-7 from blooming depending upon genera.
You really have to delve deeper into “ salesman speak”.
I see numerous vendors on e-bay advertise plants in a 4” pot. And yet the enclosed image shows and over potted young plant. They are trying to justify the price asked.
Another thing they do is to offer something at a good price and good size. Then reading the description it says, “ your plant will be of similar size!” If it is a similar size, why not show me a picture of it. Obviously it does NOT measure up that is why.
I can’t tell you how many plants I don’t buy because of tricky wording in descriptions.
You can’t let yourself get sucked in.

When I see, or read, 2” pot, I am generally thinking a young seedling.
Young seedlings in my experience do not have large root systems.
It could be anywhere from one year to 6-7 from blooming depending upon genera.
You really have to delve deeper into “ salesman speak”.
I see numerous vendors on e-bay advertise plants in a 4” pot. And yet the enclosed image shows and over potted young plant. They are trying to justify the price asked.
Another thing they do is to offer something at a good price and good size. Then reading the description it says, “ your plant will be of similar size!” If it is a similar size, why not show me a picture of it. Obviously it does NOT measure up that is why.
I can’t tell you how many plants I don’t buy because of tricky wording in descriptions.
You can’t let yourself get sucked in.
Yes, they can be very tricky! Sometimes I look at Ebay, but when I see the pictures of the itty bitty seedlings most people there are trying to sell I generally roll my eyes and move on. This seller was on Etsy, and I got a BS 2-growth Phrag Chuck Acker with a glorious root system from him recently so my guard was down. This fairrieanum ad did specify "2 inch pot" and did NOT specify "blooming size" however, so I should have known!
It seems like a lot of leaves for a seedling? But I really don't know seedlings!

I suspect what you got is a plant that was growing well for a while, then lost most of its roots, and therefore most of its momentum. As you build its root mass back up, it will turn back into a regular fairrieanum.

I suspect what you got is a plant that was growing well for a while, then lost most of its roots, and therefore most of its momentum. As you build its root mass back up, it will turn back into a regular fairrieanum.
Alas 😅 Okay. I'll just enjoy the journey! Lol

I bought this Paph fairrieanum from a seller that usually sells BS plants, so I didn't read the description close enough and assumed that a 2" pot meant it's just a compact plant... ha.
It has a decent amount of leaves, but it only had like 3 roots when I repotted. I have read that they sometimes have smaller root systems, so I'm not sure how much of an issue that really is.
I found ONE super old photo from somebody with a multigrowth blooming plant that looked compact like this here on Slippertalk (I'll try to find it, it was a pretty old post) and another post asking if a similar blooming plant was 4N on Orchidboard. (Here) I'm just a bit mystified because any Google image or grower search result shows bigger leaves 99% of the time. I'm not well acquainted with what a true seedling would look like either.
This plant is supposedly 'Tower' x 'Better Half Yet' but I can't find either parent on AOS or OrchidRoots. Anyone familiar with those?
So, is this a BABY baby? Or did I just get a compact plant?
I'm treating it almost like a phrag, but no wet feet and lower light. Lots of RO water flushes.
View attachment 47737
Paph. fairrieanum often has rather pale green leaves. Yours has good colour and looks healthy. Often seedlings are sold when they're rather small. It is not unusual for a young paph. to have only two or three roots. This species often flowers while still quite small but will take a long time to regain vigour after flowering: best to trim off the first bud. Protect it from excessive heat: over 80° F is not advisable. A seedling this size could be capable of blooming within a year but, as I indicated, it would be better to wait two years to permit it to bloom. Good luck with your treasure!

Paph. fairrieanum often has rather pale green leaves. Yours has good colour and looks healthy. Often seedlings are sold when they're rather small. It is not unusual for a young paph. to have only two or three roots. This species often flowers while still quite small but will take a long time to regain vigour after flowering: best to trim off the first bud. Protect it from excessive heat: over 80° F is not advisable. A seedling this size could be capable of blooming within a year but, as I indicated, it would be better to wait two years to permit it to bloom. Good luck with your treasure!
Thank you, excellent advice!
I have it in my "cool room" next to my phrag schlimii hybrid that dislikes heat. Hopefully it will be happy there!

Morja, How is your fairrieanum doing?
I bought an alba form of this species 10 days ago. LS is about 5"(+-) and I will call it NBS. It has a lot of roots attached to the pot, which I didn't expect. It has typical leaves for this species--greyish green/pale green. I should be able to get a decent clone of the normal color form in a few months.

Morja, How is your fairrieanum doing?
I bought an alba form of this species 10 days ago. LS is about 5"(+-) and I will call it NBS. It has a lot of roots attached to the pot, which I didn't expect. It has typical leaves for this species--greyish green/pale green. I should be able to get a decent clone of the normal color form in a few months.
It's alright, growing slowly but surely! I upped its pot size just barely recently because the length of its roots made the base of the plant stick up too much and it had a couple of aborted root starts- not sure if they were all from my care or not. It had growing root tips in the medium at that time so that's good at least! Pic from tonight:
20240822_211645.jpg

Some may bloom smaller, but I believe a blooming size fairrieanum would typically have a 6+" leafspan. Here's an example in a 2" pot.

Attachments

• Paph_fairrieanum_6300.jpg
    Paph_fairrieanum_6300.jpg
    304.4 KB
4" LS is not bad. I call it a large seedling or NBS. I actually just measured my alba, LS is slightly shorter than 6".
No expert here, it is an intermediate/slightly cooler grower and I might have to keep it inside during the hot summer days but will see. It hates to be repotted unless you have to repot it( in early spring/fall, not during the hot summer months). Don't over pot it.

Yes, I keep it next to my phrag schlimii hybrid in my "cool" spot that is 50s-70s year round. I probably overpotted it, but those darn little roots were just long!

Back