Paph concolor v Hennisianum comparison

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roy

Reaction score
Here are 2 pics of my P. concolor v Hennisianum and as you can see its going to flower. Just wanted to know from those with this plant if the plant looks correct. I know we can tell when it flowers but with the interest in foliage coloration in these paphs I thought I would ask.

DSCN1075-1.jpg

DSCN1076-1.jpg

Mine's a different variety, so I'm no help there. May I ask what you're growing that in? I don't recognize the red material. :confused:

The mix is composted pine bark and Scoria ( volcanic rock) the digital camera color makes it a lot redder than it is.

Oh good! I thought there was something cool out there that I wasn't aware of! :rollhappy: The plant looks pretty happy in it! :D Thanks for the info. :)

With the solid red underleaf coloring I would say it is a "Chinese" varity of concolor.....I'm not sure if hennisianum is a valid varity either

Accordingly to Averyanov, "var. hennisianum (album) lacks any purple spotting on the flowers and leaves".

This is my paphiopedilum concolor var. hennisianum (at least, this is what is on the label;)). I have this plant since a bit more than one year. Unfortunatelly, the plant is not doing her best and does not look very healthy (most of my plants suffered a lot last summer while I was on holidays), but now is starting 2 new growth.

Ok, back to this thread:

As per Shadow's entry, it is stated that hennisianum (album) does not have pigments, which as per album, could be expected. I did not know this variety of concolor until I received this plant, and have not been able to find much information about it (apart of some sources saying this is not a valid variety - is this true?). Therefore, I am not 100% sure whether the quote from Averyanov means that all hennisianum are album, or just that the album form of hennisianum has no pigments. My plant is NOT exactly what I would call "album", but I mst agree it has almost no red pigments under the leave. It has indeed some spot uniformly distributed, but really not that many. I will try to take a picture of the leave this evening or during the weekend and post it here.

Attachments

• Paph concolor.jpg
    Paph concolor.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 22
At one time I had a concolor v. alba. The plant was totally green, no red pigment anywhere. When it bloomed, it was a normal color form. It has gone where so many have gone before:(

Yes, the description in the book is quite confusing. I still can't understand why there is "(album)" there and "or". May be it is a misprint. No red pigment on leaves or flower - sounds strange.

I have checked one more book and found that Harold Koopowitz in his book " Tropical Slipper Orchids" says: " Other names in the judging literature, such as var. hennisianum and var. regnieri may not be distinct enough to warrant recognition".

So, may be we are trying to find something that is too variable and/or too small to notice.

Accordingly to Averyanov, "var. hennisianum (album) lacks any purple spotting on the flowers and leaves".
Sorry, sorry, sorry... :sob: I've just noticed my misprint in this my message. The word "or" that made me think about the whole day.

"var. hennisianum (album) lacks any purple spotting on the flowers or leaves" - this quotation is correct but makes description even more confusing. (page 152, "Slipper Orchids of Vietnam")

Latest posts

Back