Paph anitum flask

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I grow indoors on lightstands, so i don't have greenhouse conditions. humidity is 60-70% in the summer, and i try to keep it at 50% in the winter. Temperatures on the cool side year-round…mid 70’s (F) in the summer and high 60’s in the winter. We get several weeks with good night-time dips into the 50’s in the fall, which is great for spikes in early spring.

I wish I could grow warmer and with more humidity, but have to compromise with the fact that I grow in our living space. My roths, stonei, etc. would probably grow a lot faster in a warm greenhouse, but they do grow and they flower so I can’t complain. lowii is one species that for some reason grows like a weed for me. barbatum-types don’t do as well.

Thanks for the info! How many lowii do you have? If it grows like a weed I will have trouble because I have about 50 lowii album seedlings from 2 flasks.

Paphman910

I have 4 adults and 2NBS...yes watch out...lowii can bloom on a relatively small plant (although it can take a few years to get there) but as they get older the plants can get BIG. So worth the space though...

I have 4 adults and 2NBS...yes watch out...lowii can bloom on a relatively small plant (although it can take a few years to get there) but as they get older the plants can get BIG. So worth the space though...

Thanks Justin for the warning! I got the second flask as a replacement because it was starting to go!

Paphman910

Thanks Justin for the warning! I got the second flask as a replacement because it was starting to go!

Paphman910

I lost my first two flasks of lowii when I was growing high K. Not all at once, but trickled losses over about 3 years out of flask.

So I picked up two new flasks just prior to coming up with low K a couple years ago, and now I also have 50 or so lowii growing at a reasonable rate. A few that I separated out into baskets are growing very fast. About a dozen are still in compot just because I don't have the space to pot them up individually.:eek:

I lost my first two flasks of lowii when I was growing high K. Not all at once, but trickled losses over about 3 years out of flask.

So I picked up two new flasks just prior to coming up with low K a couple years ago, and now I also have 50 or so lowii growing at a reasonable rate. A few that I separated out into baskets are growing very fast. About a dozen are still in compot just because I don't have the space to pot them up individually.:eek:

You must have lots of space! I got the replacement from Sam because it had so much burnt leaves and the bottom leaves are dying in the flask.

I look forward to growing them and hopefully if I am out of space ... I'll flog them off to eggshell!

Paphman910

Is there an update on these eggshells?

I pre-ordered a flask of anitums and researching the process :).
So far I found this:
- low light;
- no often repottings;
- my usual deflasking mix of fine bark with perlite and a bit of sphag pieces should work.

What else?
Thanks

Is there an update on these eggshells?

I pre-ordered a flask of anitums and researching the process :).
So far I found this:
- low light;
- no often repottings;
- my usual deflasking mix of fine bark with perlite and a bit of sphag pieces should work.

What else?
Thanks

Survival rate is very low from flask! They were too small to deflask and it was jumbled very badly. Out of 2 flask I only got 2 seedlings left. They came from Heng Sheng Orchids. They are really slow growers!

They rot from the bottom of the base very quickly. If you have a chance to buy flask I would suggest Ching Hua. Their flask are really healthy and much better than HS flask.

Thank you for the info Paphman910.
I am getting it from Ching Hua, they will be coming to our Ottawa show in April.
Do you have pics of your 2 seedlings? They are about 2 years old now, right?

2 seedlings out of 2 flasks -that sounds discouraging, especially knowing how successful you are with multies.

I am really sorry about the loss of your seedlings.
Were they mailed to you and jumbled during transition?

I'm very encouraging person when it comes to paphs but this one species is what I don't recommend to start from flask. If you were to ask me, save your money and get an established seedling instead. If you really want them, you will have better chance on seedling than a flask. There is a reason why they are so rare and so few. They are very hard to grow from flask.

Same thing happened to my plants like paphman. Who knows? Maybe you will do better than us but as for me. I am done with anitum flask until I can flask them myself.

I got a flask in 2012 as well..... Can confirm how slow they are:sob: but I have half a dozen left:D size, perhaps 1-2inch LS at most:sob: guess I'll have to wait another 20years, what a gift for my 75years aniversary!:viking:
PS: just started a flask of adductum:evil:

I got a flask in 2012 as well..... Can confirm how slow they are:sob: but I have half a dozen left:D size, perhaps 1-2inch LS at most:sob: guess I'll have to wait another 20years, what a gift for my 75years aniversary!:viking:
PS: just started a flask of adductum:evil:

Omg your post made me laugh. Sorry was just funny because of the smilies you used. My bad.

Thank you for the info Paphman910.
I am getting it from Ching Hua, they will be coming to our Ottawa show in April.
Do you have pics of your 2 seedlings? They are about 2 years old now, right?

It is best to pick them up from the show as you can inspect it! Don't be afraid to turn down the flask if it looks horrible.

I will take a photo for you. My seedling are only about 2 inches leafspan.

speaking just about adductum, the last flask i got from chuck acker was very easy to grow. i killed a bunch due to grower error (fertilized them too strong) but i have 17 nice ones left.

i also grew an adductum flask from sam about 9 years ago and the first few are finally reaching maturity. they are the slowest species i've ever grown.

Latest posts

Back