Timing of Moving from Compot to Single Pots

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
In 2019 I purchased this flask of Paph Norito Hasegawa x fairrieanum from @Happypaphy7. In 2020, I posted an update of the compot which was growing very vigorously: Pot Full of Greatness. At that time, I potted up several plants into single pots and put the smallers ones back into a compot. Well 3 years later many of the plants in the compot are larger than those that I potted into single pots, and most of others are the same size as the single pots. It appears that the compot plants thrived more than the single potted ones. This leaves me to wonder if I was not too hasty in moving to single pots. I have been leaving my compots intact longer than normal and have seen more vigorous growth. By no means did I rush the process before, but recently I am leaving them alone for at least 12 months past the normal timing. The pros seem to be more vigorous growth (roots and leaves) and saves space. The biggest con has been that the root can become pretty tangled. However, with the right amount of moisture at the root zone and a touch of patience during unpotting this is not a problem.

For those of you growing flasks and compots, what are your observations around timing to move from compots to single pots.

Compot compared to singles:
20230726_120906.jpg

Unpotted compot:
20230726_200918.jpg

Attachments

• 20230726_120911.jpg
    20230726_120911.jpg
    7.7 MB · Views: 0
Because I think it is of note. My collection grows outside during the summer and underlights inside in the winter. When I started growing, everything i read lead me to believe I would kill my orchids by over watering. Since then I have trended towards being an underwaterer. I am still working on that over a decade later😅. I would not be surprised if my growing style is why the compot flourished more than the single pots. The compot likely tended to hold more moisture.

My deflasking approach is to pot up as many of the plantlets are possible into individual pots, reserving compots for the stragglers, so I usually don’t see the runts catching up.

Might it be that the compots stay moist longer? That would give those plants the advantage.

[Edit - I see we concluded the same thing, which you added as I typed.]

@Ray I think moisture had a lot to do with it, especially considering my tendency to underwater. I think I will continue to leave the compots together longer since they are staying moist longer that way. I will also continue to work towards conquering my underwatering issues. At this point I don't see the harm in keeping the compots together longer, as long as the plants stay healthy.

I am experimenting with these. So, once again I potted the largest plants and placed the smaller ones back into a compot. All but two were fit for individual pots, but I am curious to see what happens under my growing conditions.

I also have two more over grown compots:

Paph Hat Tricks on the left and Paph Beluga on the right:

20230726_120953.jpg

I will repot Hat Tricks but I am undecided about Beluga. My concern with both is that they are so full it is challenging to water them without spraying directly into the leaves. Beluga is younger and I would prefer not to disturb it, so I will likely wait. At least I can get to its media.

I am finding similar things with cacti, aloe and Agave seedlings that I grow. My hybrid cacti go into half seed trays for their first pot on and I agree with the comments that more consistent water available is key. With the cacti and succulents it means even those growing more slowly don't end up sitting in too wet compost as the other plants use it.

I wonder whether dropping on the compot into a larger pot and not splitting them at this stage might give even better results to avoid disturbing the roots?

I should clarify. I was not concerned about wetting the leaves. I am concerned about spraying water directly into the center on the leaves in a crowded compot as such raising the risk of crown rot.

I should clarify. I was not concerned about wetting the leaves. I am concerned about spraying water directly into the center on the leaves in a crowded compot as such raising the risk of crown rot.
Water early and have air movement. No problem.

For about a decade before I retired, when I had a “wonderful” 50-mile one-way commute on the PA turnpike, my greenhouse watering was done with an automated, overhead “rain” system applying RO water with 25 ppm N fertilizer, which ran for 30 minutes before shutting off. It was not a mist or spray, it was a deluge, absolutely flushing and saturating everything in the greenhouse.

I did that at 5:30 am while pouring my first cup of coffee, and between fans and sunshine, all the foliage was dry by the time I got home from work. Granted, I was routinely applying probiotics as well, but I never experienced any crown rot.

@Ray I think moisture had a lot to do with it, especially considering my tendency to underwater. I think I will continue to leave the compots together longer since they are staying moist longer that way. I will also continue to work towards conquering my underwatering issues. At this point I don't see the harm in keeping the compots together longer, as long as the plants stay healthy.

I am experimenting with these. So, once again I potted the largest plants and placed the smaller ones back into a compot. All but two were fit for individual pots, but I am curious to see what happens under my growing conditions.

I also have two more over grown compots:

Paph Hat Tricks on the left and Paph Beluga on the right:

View attachment 41982

I will repot Hat Tricks but I am undecided about Beluga. My concern with both is that they are so full it is challenging to water them without spraying directly into the leaves. Beluga is younger and I would prefer not to disturb it, so I will likely wait. At least I can get to its media.

I know most people frown at the word of potting mix for orchid, but One trick I learned for Paphiopedilum is using Black Gold Potting mix, mixed with small and medium perlite, small to medium bark, leca, and small to medium charcoal. It can hold moisture really well because of the potting mix and have lots of air from the perlite, leca, and medium charcoal that create some small air pockets. Because there are larger sized substrates there, You also do not need to repot very often, every 3 years I would repot.

I have been using this substrate mix for 3 years now and my paphs grow extremely well and flower once to twice a year. In fact I have 3 that are spiking right now.

We all have things that works in different situations. From my experience with frequent summer rains, the risk of crown rot rises. without installing outdoor fans in my growing area, i am at the mercy of the wind. Typically, it all works out and rot is not an issue. Very rarely do I lose a plant to crown rot. Still watering into the crowns by my own hand or heavy, frequent rain increases the risk, especially when growths are tight or when plants are packed too tightly together. Air movement is needed around pots and between leaves.

Learning and adapting from observations is what helps people be come better growers. One day I hope to have a greenhouse and there will be an entirely new set of lessons. For now, I have learned from my indoor/outdoor growing. Indoors multiple fans run 24/7. Outside that is not the case.

I repotted Hat Tricks and they looked amazing. Outstanding root growth. The extra time in the compot was for the better.

@eds limiting root disturbance would likely be for the better. I am not sure how easy lifting seedling in one clumb be unless the roots are well established enough to be slightly entangled. I may try it at so point when the compot is growing over the edge.

I tend to leave seedlings in compots for as long as possible. Only if the top growths become too crowded, I would repot them to allow more space for them to spread leaves and such.
This is also practical for small indoor growers like me and others as it saves space as the original poster mentioned.

can you post a picture or details og "black Gold'?
This is the Black Gold potting mix I use. I modify it by adding perlite, lava rock, charcoal, bark, etc to make it more airy. I also do a sprinkle of 13-13-13 slow release fertilizer

Attachments

• 3632Black-Gold-All-Purpose-Potting-Mix-1cf_2020.png
    3632Black-Gold-All-Purpose-Potting-Mix-1cf_2020.png
    28.1 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back