Paph anitum culture

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wendy

Just me!
Reaction score
I posted in another thread that I got a seedling Paph anitum yesterday. I've heard they can be fussy to grow....any tips on their culture? I repotted it into small coconut, perlite and bits of sphagnum last night. It has nice roots but could use a few more. (for my liking)

Thanks for any advice guys!

Being a variety of adductum; they like sphagnum in the mix. They like to dry out during the month of March each year. Good humidity - 70-75%. Bright light. Good air movement.

Thanks!

I just realized that I posted in the wrong section...could a moderator possibly move this to the culture section for me?

My understanding is - plenty of moisture, sufficient light, an open mix, good air circulation.

Thanks!I just realized that I posted in the wrong section...could a moderator possibly move this to the culture section for me?

Done, I think, I'm kinda new at this!:p

Thanks for the tips everyone. @[email protected] is a nice website. Thank you.

Rose...thanks for changing the thread to where I should have posted in the first place. Promise I won't do it again. :eek:

tips: low light (very indirect light), high (very high) humidity, warm temps, the best compot (to me) is fern roots (Osmunda, Asplenium). I have saved mine in it but is far from blooming size (at least 2-3 years)
good luck!

Wendy

How big/old is your plant?

Now that I'm growing tons more seedlings of multis than adult plants I'm noticing that the amount of light/heat that the seedlings like for the first couple years out of flask is much less than NBS plants. This also goes for the light hogs like phili, roths and kolos. Sanderianum never really seems to grow out of liking fairly low light, and supardii doesn't seem to like it much brighter.

I have some gigantifolium and adductum (anitum?) seedlings that are growing quickly in areas that are good for my barbata group plants. When they were closer to the BS multis they stopped growing, and I had some mortality.

It is a seedling with a 4.5" leaf span. The leaves are pretty wide and chunky...almost 'succulent' looking. I put it under the MH light; maybe I should move it to a lower shelf on that side. (The discolouration at the base of the leaves is stain/algae from the mix it came in....not rot.)

Attachments

• 2009_0413PaphanitumBSL0005.JPG
    2009_0413PaphanitumBSL0005.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 132
  • 2009_0413PaphanitumBSL0004.JPG
    2009_0413PaphanitumBSL0004.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 103
Being a variety of adductum; they like sphagnum in the mix. They like to dry out during the month of March each year. Good humidity - 70-75%. Bright light. Good air movement.
Could you clarify why dry out in March only?

Latest posts

Back