P. curtisii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you get it from H. Christiansen?

No, this one is from a pair from Fr. Gabi Gufrovičová (this one tagged 'red dorsal', the other one 'green dorsal' - can't wait to see, what that one looks like, now my curiosity about this one has been satisfied to the fullest!).
But I think, that one of the two, that I have from Hans Chr. (hopefully) is about to sport a bud in the nearest future!

The true superbiens was rediscovered a couple of years back and looks similar but very different from curtisii. I posted pic on my curtisii thread.

Last edited:
I have this flower in my head as P. superbiens. What are the differences?

I understand your confusion. I've read a load of contradictory and mutually excluding descriptions of superbiens vs. curtisii, and could make no head nor tail of it. :confused:
Only when the 'real' superbiens was reintroduced into cultivation things started to make sense. Olaf Gruß (ORG) has a couple of times here on STC been so kind as to provide us with photos, where you clearly can compare and see the difference between the two species. SlipperKing's picture of his superbiens in his curtisii-thread should also help you out.
As a consequence of the above I have renamed all my plants accordingly, were they labelled 'superbiens' or 'superbiens var. curtisii'. And for once going against my natural inclination to lump. In this case I think, there are good reasons to keep the plants as two separated species, if not for other reasons than to avoid further confusion!

Last edited:
Here is one of Olaf Gruß very elucidating posts on superbiens vs. curtisii:

Your plant is really a true Paphiopedilum curtisii. Some years ago the true Paph. superbiens was found again and this Shows the clear differences to curtisii. Her eat first two different clones of curtisii

View attachment 16835
Paphiopedilum curtisii

and now the true superbiens View attachment 16836 Paphiopedilum superbiens

Here an old print of the typical Paph. superbiens

View attachment 16837

Best greetings

Olaf

Beautiful plant and flower! I too have been confused over the curtisii/superbiens name. Mine is labelled curtisii but looks much different than yours and I suspect may actually be superbiens.....

Attachments

• 17CA1316-AFED-462F-A41B-4CD6BB3C3C99.jpeg
    17CA1316-AFED-462F-A41B-4CD6BB3C3C99.jpeg
    141.9 KB · Views: 7

Latest posts

Back