Hans Christiansen - 54th anniversary (lawrenceanum, insigne 3N and Chysis laevis)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guldal

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yesterday, I visited Hans Christiansen in Fredensborg. It was the day of his nursery, Orchidegartneriet's mposing 54th anniversary, all the time with him at the helm (accidentally, I unfortunately missed the visit of another ST-member, 'Hamiltons', by the hair of a whisker).
I had a couple of newly repotted plants put aside for future purchase, but was quite happy with my ' loot of the day' ! 😃

First P. lawrenceanum (it got a bit ruffled during the home transport - form nigh perfect before):20230702_123832.jpg
NS: 10 cm; DS: 6 cm.

It was too difficult for me to choose between the following P. insigne 3Ns, so I ended up buying both:
20230702_124043.jpg
NS: 6,5 cm; DS: 6 cm. 20230702_124230.jpg
NS: 7 cm; DS: 7 cm.

Paph. group photo:20230702_124639.jpg

Another member of my orchid society has a dapper hand at growing Chysis. As I've fallen in love with her plants, I've started to wonder, whether I would be able to grow this genus, so quite different from my usually trodden path (Paphs and Cattley/Laelia)?
I guess, I'll find out now, as I couldn't resist this Chysis laevis in Hans' sales area:20230702_125047.jpg
20230702_125110.jpg
(Hans was a bit weary as to, whether its tag had been mixed up, so any input on that will be well received!)

Last edited:
Big dorsal on the insignes.
How does he know its a 3n?
Are there any tetraploid insignes?
Info from the German nursery, that provided him with the plants... they are not a commercial nursery, and closed to the public. They are run by a foundation, that also funds research into orchids, which kind of lends some credibility to their information.
A famous and most probably polyploid classic clone of insigne is 'Harefield Hall'. My most beloved plant of that clone unfortunately went to orchid heaven, when I was ill with Covid-19 for 6 weeks, before the vaccines were developed.

P. insigne 'Harefield Hall' SM/DOK, 2020:
17467-6516d20a4d0c2946b56c2aaea242053d.jpeg.jpg
'Harefield Hall' in the back with my other polyploid insignes, before they all died on me under and after The Great Covid Extinction of my collection: 17471-b5d6143275373b6d81b296845fdb6867.jpeg.jpg
Hans Christiansen has unfortunately (for me) sold his remaining 'Harefield Hall's for a small fortune to a nursey owner in Asia, and unless a division or two has been reimported, there do not, to his knowledge, anymore remain any clones in Europe.
The plants came with a well established proveniens, as he got them from the old and distinguished Danish orchid nursery of the Koch family, who back in the days, when cut orchids and orchids for corsages were a pricy commodity, grew these 4N clones. Hans got hold of the plants, when the Kochs closed their business.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back