Orchids 2023

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice Justin 😁 Are you playing to your orchids good Rock and Roll music so that they would grow well or are you trying to hear how their doing and growing🤔 Or if they are crying or laughing🤔 🤣

Envy.

Here is a little phrag
Not many around
X roethianum x fischeri

Attachments

• PXL_20230629_215418309.jpg
    PXL_20230629_215418309.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
I'm so sorry to disappoint you, Annica, although plants are sentient being, with a sensory system and with means to communicate, they have NO hearing what so ever!

If interested, you can read more in this entertaining and interesting book:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1851689702?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_image

Well Jens, I didn't ment that to be taken so literally, you silly boy 😊 Attencion that is not ment as a personal insult! (Or any kind of insult.)
The plants don't here in a traditional sense, but still... Besides what do they know, nothing. I will look your book one day thank you.

I'm so sorry to disappoint you, Annica, although plants are sentient being, with a sensory system and with means to communicate, they have NO hearing what so ever!

If interested, you can read more in this entertaining and interesting book:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1851689702?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_image
I’m intrigued, puzzled and surprised that plants cannot ’hear’ noises like thunder and birds, and MUSIC (!?). I’m ordering this book now to read for tomorrow lol.

My poor orchids will have to do without Vivaldi until I fully assess this situation 😌.

I’m intrigued, puzzled and surprised that plants cannot ’hear’ noises like thunder and birds, and MUSIC (!?). I’m ordering this book now to read for tomorrow lol.

My poor orchids will have to do without Vivaldi until I fully assess this situation 😌.

Don't worry Dr Leslie, I am sure that even though plants have no ears, they sense and 'hear' things anyway. It's probably good that we cannot hear them. Think if they scream, when we cut down trees or pull out weeds, or when e.g planting orchids, we take out back bulbs or damage some roots, even unintensionally. How they might scream, horrible!!! 😱😖🤬

There was a Mythbusters episode where they tested plant growth in a silent and noisy environment. The results suggested (key word) that noise of any sort, whether it be music or highway traffic, resulted in better plant growth.

I believe some more rigorous studies investigated this as well and found the same, for some unknown reason. Plants don't hear, but maybe vibrations do something, not sure.

There was a Mythbusters episode where they tested plant growth in a silent and noisy environment. The results suggested (key word) that noise of any sort, whether it be music or highway traffic, resulted in better plant growth.

I believe some more rigorous studies investigated this as well and found the same, for some unknown reason. Plants don't hear, but maybe vibrations do something, not sure.

Yes Spjur, that is true. I had already forgotten that, but there is several studies with same result.

I also forgot to mention that I have often thought that it is like plants would have some kind of eyes. Of cause not like people or animals, but some kind of magical sense. Seeds land where they happen to land, but I have seen it over and over again. Often weeds, any so called weedsgrowing from seed, manage to pick a place, where they look almost identical to the plant you want to grow. They try hide inside that plant and hope to grow and flower without been seen. And sometimes they succeed so well that you see it first when it blooms. Reaction is like, what the f...!😤
You probably think I have got bonkers or lost all of my marbles. I can tell you that you are not wrong, but I guess it's good that I know I'm mad. 🤣

I used to pipe jazz into my greenhouse. It seemed appropriate for such highly evolved plants.

If you check our the book I recommended;, there is dearth of evidence suggesting: plants have no hearing whatsoever! If the noise was loud enough, the sound waves, might, as you suggest, somehow have resulted in better circulation, beneficial to the environment of the plants? Or, maybe more likely, we have yet again, the one-off result of a study never replicated!
I used to pipe jazz into my greenhouse. It seemed appropriate for such highly evolved plants.
Though, beneficial for one being only: the grower!
Hopefully you didn't waste money and energy by playing music at times, where you weren't there - that would have been a terrible waste and detrimental to your carbon accounting! 😳
And a worrying indication of the plants being more "highly evolved" than their owner! 😁

Last edited:
Back