Orchids 2023

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't worry Dr Leslie, I am sure that even though plants have no ears, they sense and 'hear' things anyway. It's probably good that we cannot hear them. Think if they scream, when we cut down trees or pull out weeds, or when e.g planting orchids, we take out back bulbs or damage some roots, even unintensionally. How they might scream, horrible!!! 😱😖🤬
Well I finally got the book… let me read and report in a week or two. I will get to the bottom of this enigma lol.

I also marked the book on my to do list.

In the grand scheme of things I'm sure whatever effects sound has on plant growth is miniscule and likely not statistically different, but I doubt it will hurt besides a few watts of energy use. 🙂

I also marked the book on my to do list.

In the grand scheme of things I'm sure whatever effects sound has on plant growth is miniscule and likely not statistically different, but I doubt it will hurt besides a few watts of energy use. 🙂

I have to say that I don't actually intentionally play music to my plants, but they have to listen if I listen to radio or listen concerts from TV or You Tube music videos through or from TV screen. Home theatre or theater gives you a great sound. 😃
I still believe that plants can sense sounds. Let's see what Dr Ee says after reading his new book. 😶
I do know for a fact that animals like music, e.g cows milk even more when they hear certain type of music. 😁

If this is not just an unvalidated myth, it might rely on the fact, that (most) animals have hearing contrary to plants! 🧐

It's not a myth, but perhaps it safer to say that atleast most, if not all domesticated animals hear and like music.
There are animals and creatures, depending where they live, that they have eyes and ears, but are deaf and blind 'cause they don't need those senses anymore. That has happened during a long period of time.
BTW Jens, I would like to ask privately something from you. Is that possible, you think🤔

Paph. philippinense 'Alford' AM/AOS

Has 4 spikes, but only 3 flowers per this year (it can do 5). Also the flowers have been blooming mostly peloric for the past couple years. Not sure why.

Sorry for the weird focus. I didn't stake the spikes, so it was a little challenging to get good photos.

phil alford 2023v2 - Copy.jpg

phil alford 20232 v2 - Copy.jpg

phil 4 spikes v2 - Copy.jpg

Classic cultivar.

What do you mean peloric?

My thought also, but then I noticed that some lateral sepals are split in half. Totally or partly. Am I right Justin🤔
Beautiful flowers anyway. I have always loved philippinense. One lady painted a tiny painting from my philippinense from a picture I took from it. I didn't know that, and it was a lovely suprise when I received it on my birthday. 😁

My thought also, but then I noticed that some lateral sepals are split in half. Totally or partly. Am I right Justin🤔
Beautiful flowers anyway. I have always loved philippinense. One lady painted a tiny painting from my philippinense from a picture I took from it. I didn't know that, and it was a lovely suprise when I received it on my birthday. 😁
Please show us a pic of this painting?

Yeah the ventral sepals split on almost all the flowers. It didn't used to do this. Maybe from being potbound?

I don't think so.
Did you have it in a hanging basket before🤔
You could also try planting it in a clear pot. They are easier to see how roots are doing and when they need watering.

Latest posts

Back