Old School Roth

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

Reaction score
This roth isn't big and doesn't produce a lot of flowers, but its pretty.

The cross is Noyo with Eureka. Also supposed to be a colchine treated flask, but other than being a butt to grow I don't see evidence of tetraploidy.

Last edited:
We more and more forget how the original roths actually looked like. I am glad that some of us still grow them.

Beautiful roth, Rick!

Everyone should have at least one old school roth. Lovely! :clap:

I love it. There will always be a market for the originals.

I heartily agree ... but are there any breeders that specialize in old style/old school (or should I say "original species") roths, philippinense, etc.? All I ever see for sale are cultivars intended to produce the longest and most twisted petals possible.

Beautiful roth, Rick!

I heartily agree ... but are there any breeders that specialize in old style/old school (or should I say "original species") roths, philippinense, etc.? All I ever see for sale are cultivars intended to produce the longest and most twisted petals possible.

You'd probably be surprised as to how little difference there is on the old stock relative to the new. Most of the type descriptions for the species show dimensions that overlap almost 100 % of the big AM's and FCC's. But usually with fewer flowers, more finicky to grow, narrower petal elements...

This flower is 9" across (NS 22-23 cm) so about the same as Justin's more extensively bred plant for its first bloom (with 3 buds too). Down the road maybe Justins' will push flowers over 30cm across with 5 or 6 flowers.

Note the type description (for wild plants) has flowers 14-30 cm for 2-4 flowers. So I don't worry about folks trying to push the envelope on breeding.

I don't see any affect from the 4N-try either. How big is the LS?

Latest posts

Back