% of greenhouses

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you own a greenhouse?

• Yes

Votes: 24 38.1%
  • No

Votes: 39 61.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
J

john mickel

Anyway of finding out % of members have real greenhouses - I'm sure you are the ones with nice blooms - your pictures are all great - john

I would think you could set it up as a poll & at the same time find out how many grow on windowsill or underlights.

I added a poll for your question;> When you click on the go advanced button there's a poll feature.

I said yes, but what I really have is an enclosed sun room or porch where I've added a heating system for the winter. Windows are glass and the roof is plexiglass. My plants love it in there! Some day I'll add lights and plumbing.

Window sill, but the amount of lighting grows as I find more things that I want.

Anyway of finding out % of members have real greenhouses - I'm sure you are the ones with nice blooms - your pictures are all great - john

I respectfully submit that your assumption that a greenhouse is necessary to bloom out nice orchids is erroneous. Many people grow in the house and bloom out beautiful orchids. There was an article in the October issue of "Orchids" featuring a forum member, Wendy Hoffman, who grows indoors. She has been growing orchids for around eight years and has received 9 AOS awards, including several cultural awards and an FCC.

Here's a picture of my "green house". :D
01House.jpg

Well I voted for yes, but I actually don't have it assembeled right now. Waiting on moving and finding the right best back yard. I keep all of my plants at anothers growers greenhouses. I work there also - It helps!

I don't have a greenhouse yet, but we are working on plans for a conservatory. Right now, I'm growing in a sunroom, a basement, and Summering outdoors.

IMHO, there are two advantages of having a greenhouse over growing in your home, humidity and convenience.

With my room humidifier, I keep my orchid room in the 50's. I suspect my plants would prefer humidity in the 60's or 70's, but it isn't practical for me; I don't want mold growing on my walls, etc. Of course, those LUCKY people with basements and converted attics can keep humidity much higher than me. That said, my plants seem to grow and bloom well under my conditions.

I have wood floors, and my plant stands are on carpets that have a plastic liner underneath. I have to be careful when I water. If I had a greenhouse, I'd have automatic watering, or at least I could water copiously and sloppily.

But I do love the control and security that indoor growing affords. I know exactly how much light my plants get, no cloudy days or guessing when to put up or take down the shade cloth. And I go to bed with a smile on my face. Even if the power fails, my orchids won't freeze (this might not be true for folks in more northern climes).

Orchids can prosper in a wide variety of situations. You take what you've got and do the best you can with it, and you can have success.

Under lights (normal fluorescent), windowsill, window greenhouse, and cold room with southern glass wall.......Eric

I'm growing in a rental house right now. Grrr...I can't wait to have the conditions that I really need! I'll still grow in the house and basement ( like for Masdies) But it would be great to have a greenhouse or sun porch type set up for my Catts!:wink:

I have done both through the years, and support Swamprad's position. GH's are great for making huge sloppy messes.

Another issue of the GH is what part of the country you're in and the basic climate. In general green houses can be real energy hogs for either cooling or heating. It's very hard to get the same insulation value of GH walls compared to house walls.

I think your capital outlay for lighting is much higher indoors (depending on species selection), but I wouldn't be surprised if the annual cost of energy for climate control I spend in my GH wouldn't pay for some very good lighting for indoor use.

i have a 4x11 leanto greenhouse in which temps go from one extreme to the other. i have just barely been able to keep orchids alive in there for the last 13 yrs or so. now i have switched to growing under lights in the basement.; for a year now and the improvements have been incredibale.

100% under lights in and enclosed light stand. Limits what you can and can not grow but you have total control of conditions.

I maintain a 70 to 75 % humidity inside the stand and still have a comfortable 35 to 40% in the room /house.

Latest posts

Back