% of greenhouses

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you own a greenhouse?

• Yes

Votes: 24 38.1%
  • No

Votes: 39 61.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Greenhouses are great because the plants get light from overhead instead of growing in the direction of the window! :p

And the watering. I look forward to the day when I just turn on a hose with the fertilizer pumped in already, and just water with the runoff hitting the floor. Currently plants get picked up and placed over the "catch" trash can and then water is pumped up and out with a larger fountain pump.

Mine grow in a south-facing window sill, recently supplemented by fluorescent lighting on three shelves; T12's on two shelves and T8's on the third.

I will have a greenhouse some day, mainly to facilitate a larger collection with better growing conditions than I can currently manage...

I can't seem to stop buying orchids (brought two more home last night from our society meeting :p ) so the greenhouse may be necessary sooner than later. :rollhappy:

I do not have a gh and grow under fluorescent t8 that should probably be advanced in wattage(that is another aspect!) I would love to have an area where I could have several growing conditions...;)

Right now, I live in an appartment that I will probalby change in a couple of years, so no plans for creating an ideal growing indoor area! I didn't have the faintest idea that I would obtain such a hobby... :p But in my next appartment I will definately create one!!!! (I will try to find one with the appropriate potential...:D)

In my dreams! At the moment things are grown on windowsills and under lights in the storage cupboard :poke:

I grow in my basement under lights, HIDs & fluorescents of different types, works out fine. Jim.
P1010039.jpg

I know some of the under lights folk are growing some of the big multiflorals under lights. Maybe you all can highlight your succes with those. Wendy??? Besides being big they tend to want allot of light.

I have poor luck with this group under lights.

I know some of the under lights folk are growing some of the big multiflorals under lights. Maybe you all can highlight your succes with those.

I had the opportunity to buy a group of about 25 large, mature multiflorals early last Spring from an elderly grower who was having to move. They came from his greenhouse into my living room, and placed under T5 high powered fluorescents. Not counting the ones that were already spiking when I got them, I have managed to coax spikes from Yellow Tiger (platyphyllum x glanduliferum), Vanguard (with two spikes!), Lady Isabel, and one other grex whose name excapes me at the moment. I have also bloomed a few multi x other section crosses under lights in the past year (my latest spike is on Doctor Toot, which is kolo x delenatii!), admittedly easier (usually) than straight multis. So I can't accept that a greenhouse is a necessity for blooming multifloral paphs, though the increased humidity in a greenhouse would probably result in better growth.

Jblanford, I would give almost anything for a basement like yours! Your collection looks great (I like those platyceriums!).

I grow in the house, basement under fl. lights & in the windows of the dinning room south bay window, kitchen east & south windows, laundry room south & west windows + fl. light, spare bedroom south window.
I use to grow in a summer greenhouse until the bears decided to play.

Tom

Latest posts

Back