Norito Hasegawa Problems

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sebo

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Longtime lurker, first time poster. I was hoping someone might be able to give me some insight into what’s going on with one of my Norito Hasegawas. It recently pushed a spike and the flower is opening as we speak however since pushing said spike one bottom leaf has died entirely and now a second bottom leaf is starting to go as well. I know leaves for however this was previously such a healthy plant and just seems to be going downhill lately. Unfortunately it’s not begun pushing a new fan yet either. Any insight into the issue or advice on how to stop or slow it would be incredible. Thank you!

Attachments

• 2ACAC5C3-BF17-4ACE-8482-223BC6DEF133.jpeg
    2ACAC5C3-BF17-4ACE-8482-223BC6DEF133.jpeg
    5.4 MB · Views: 1
  • ACDC8F41-2344-4556-B9A0-FC1D34033C3C.jpeg
    ACDC8F41-2344-4556-B9A0-FC1D34033C3C.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 1
It is totally normal. Old leaves will senesce and fade. You should be seeing a new growth start soon, and the old growth will die back.

You can also cut the spike which will help the plant conserve energy.

I partially agree with Justin’s assessment, but will share some of my own experience that may help explain the situation.

Based upon how they grow in nature, I have become a big proponent of limited, regular feeding. I recommend about 100 ppm N weekly. While I think that is certainly sufficient, I am beginning to think that is nearing the “edge of the cliff” on the lower end. I say that because I have gone through periods of good plant care and periods of being less attentive since retiring. Beaching, boating, and fishing are big draws away from plants in the summer. Having it be hotter than hell and having a quick, convenient garden hose available to water (without food) is quick and easy, so becomes a go-to action. Normally, I see very little leaf loss and regular addition of new growths, but during my less-attentive periods, I do see lower leaves fade and growth slow. (I might have attributed some of that to heat, but last summer, when it was just as hot and humid, the pandemic kept my activity more restricted, so dedicated more time to my plants, and I did not have such issues.)

Similarly, some of my non-season-specific phalaenopsis, which ordinarily bloom all summer, if not all year, will slow flower production, if not stop altogether. Resuming better nutrition management reverses that.

Yes, that’s very limited, anecdotal “evidence”, but slow growth and the resorption of lower leaves suggests - to me - that the plant is not getting enough resources externally, so is shifting internal reserves around to compensate. That could be a case where they are being supplied insufficiently (as in my examples) or because the plant is unable to take them up properly.

Assuming that the roots were in good conditions at the time of repotting and they still are, then, I would not worry too much although I understand your concern.
Not just Norito Hasegawa but paphs in general can be quite difference when it comes to timing of a new growth initiation.
I would say most of my plants took a while to start a new fan after the flower fades. Some plants would start to send up a new fan while still in bloom, but for me, majority of the first blooming plants would wait until after the flower has faded.
It can be right away from the point the flower is nearing its end or it can be a couple of weeks to a couple of months.
If you see the yellowing of the leaves continue, I would definitely have a look at the roots.

Back