Todd Hasegawa

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happypaphy7

Paphlover
Reaction score
The cross is Norito Hasegawa 'Sunny Side Up' HCC/AOS x emersonii 'Snow Swan'
This is a first time blooming seedling still in its 2.5inch plastic pot with fir bark, charcoal and perlite mix from Cloud's Orchids from a few years ago.
According to the dates written on the tag, it has been out of flask for at least 9-10 years. Wow~

It was very slow initially, but showed a sudden growth spur & grew nice and big in the last 1.5 years, and finally in the late summer this year it started to spike. Without any pause unlike its parent species, the spike developed well and now the flower is open.
The flower is rather large at 13cm across and it's not even fully open yet.
I would prefer a bit more yellow. Overall, though, it is pleasing to me. Markings, colors, size and shape and all. Worth the wait, I'd say.
I am curious to see the color development. Armeniacum hybrids generally don't open up intense yellow like the species itself but tend to develop the color over time, so I'm going to be patient for the next couple of weeks.

I have one more seeding from the same batch and that plant looks much more like armeniacum than this guy. Smaller, narrower, darker and glossy leaves. maybe matching yellow flower one day? :)

C8hc30dl.jpg

Congrats, thanks for sharing. I think I called them after you first posted about these and they were sold out. :(

I bought this some time ago so I would think it's long gone from their stock.
Also, for this particular hybrid, there was a limit of two plants per order and I ordered two. hehe

The cross is Norito Hasegawa 'Sunny Side Up' HCC/AOS x emersonii 'Snow Swan'
This is a first time blooming seedling still in its 2.5inch plastic pot with fir bark, charcoal and perlite mix from Cloud's Orchids from a few years ago.
According to the dates written on the tag, it has been out of flask for at least 9-10 years. Wow~

It was very slow initially, but showed a sudden growth spur & grew nice and big in the last 1.5 years, and finally in the late summer this year it started to spike. Without any pause unlike its parent species, the spike developed well and now the flower is open.
The flower is rather large at 13cm across and it's not even fully open yet.
I would prefer a bit more yellow. Overall, though, it is pleasing to me. Markings, colors, size and shape and all. Worth the wait, I'd say.
I am curious to see the color development. Armeniacum hybrids generally don't open up intense yellow like the species itself but tend to develop the color over time, so I'm going to be patient for the next couple of weeks.

I have one more seeding from the same batch and that plant looks much more like armeniacum than this guy. Smaller, narrower, darker and glossy leaves. maybe matching yellow flower one day? :)

C8hc30dl.jpg
I’d be interested to see if it yellows up in a couple weeks.

Lovely flower. Emersonii washes out colour.
Yes and no.
Franz Glanz ( emersonii x armeniacum) is typically yellow of different shades. I have seen on that had pretty much emersonii colors where the flower was pure white with golden yellow pouch.
In general, it is more correct to say that emersonii tends to dilute or lighten the color while intensify the pouch color.
This is clearly seen in other hybrids like Joyce Hasegawa and Memoria Larry Heuer.

Congrats, thanks for sharing. I think I called them after you first posted about these and they were sold out. :(
This is such a fun hybrid based on quite a few flower examples I have seen online. I hope someone remakes this cross.
Now that I see more and more emersonii being offered in the market, I might get one and attempt to remake myself. haha :)
can't have enough yellow(ish) flowers in my life. :)

Latest posts

Back