Newly acquired Paph. sanderianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's what I got confused about as well, because mine is an MK, no doubt about it.

Show you the ovary of my sanderianum, pure white in color~~

DSCN0890_zps13f46b2a.jpg

Re. Muntant, no doubt that yours must be MK as distinguished from the color of pouch - Yellowish.

Show you the ovary of my sanderianum, pure white in color~~

Re. Muntant, no doubt that yours must be MK as distinguished from the color of pouch - Yellowish.
But the ovary on yours looks like the one on Bjorn's i.e. not pure white? It looks like it has the same faint colouring like his does or is that only how it appears on my screen?

Yup, mine is a sandishyellowbrown kind of colour and I don't think the pouches has that particular shape I've come to associate with sanderianum (yours have that shape however).

I'm just getting more and more confused... :confused:

But the ovary on yours looks like the one on Bjorn's i.e. not pure white? It looks like it has the same faint colouring like his does or is that only how it appears on my screen?

Yup, mine is a sandishyellowbrown kind of colour and I don't think the pouches has that particular shape I've come to associate with sanderianum (yours have that shape however).

I'm just getting more and more confused... :confused:

Maybe the color of photo has distortion. It is white in reality. :). I think we should distinguish whether it is a sanderianum from more traits, such as color of petals, pouch etc. other than simply from the ovary's color.

I have a MK in spike and the first flower will open in these few days. I can photo it with my sanderianum for comparison.

Maybe the color of photo has distortion. It is white in reality. :). I think we should distinguish whether it is a sanderianum from more traits, such as color of petals, pouch etc. other than simply from the ovary's color.

I have a MK in spike and the first flower will open in these few days. I can photo it with my sanderianum for comparison.
It could be the hairs making it look like it has pinkish stripes. Of what I can discern of the staminoids in the first picture, yours also look like sanderianum (they appear more 'pinched' at the bottom than on MK for example). It seems my MK came and messed up the 'easy' way to confirm if what one have is a pure sandy or not. :rollhappy:

To me, yours look like a straight sandy and I'm feeling guilty for casting any doubts on the ID of your Paph. I'll go and spank my MK for being odd.

I have never seen anything like this! Its my plants twin! Could they have the same source? I have a feeling that mine came from Taiwan although it was bought as a seedling in Germany. It grew very well and until it flowered I was convinced that it was a sandie. Afterwards I have been convinced that there was some genetic mix-up perhaps Mk x sandie? Or similar? Well now I do not know what to believe anymore, at least mine is no typical sanderianum, too round shoulders and not pointed enough, my flower is just not narrow enough for a typical sanderianum. What shall I believe?:sob:

I have never seen anything like this! Its my plants twin! Could they have the same source? I have a feeling that mine came from Taiwan although it was bought as a seedling in Germany. It grew very well and until it flowered I was convinced that it was a sandie. Afterwards I have been convinced that there was some genetic mix-up perhaps Mk x sandie? Or similar? Well now I do not know what to believe anymore, at least mine is no typical sanderianum, too round shoulders and not pointed enough, my flower is just not narrow enough for a typical sanderianum. What shall I believe?:sob:
It seems the more pictures we post in this thread, the more confusing it gets... I also thought it looked like the ovaries on your MK, but the flowers look different.

I will play the devil's advocate and say that it might be a possibility of MK being back crossed to sanderianum. In fact, Bjorn's plants looks like an MK backcross to me. The thing with a back cross is you can see plants that you can tell the obvious difference that its a hybrid but some progenies of the cross will be so close to one of the parent species that it is often hard to distinguish if not impossible. You have to look at subtle differences (like white ovaries for sandies..) as clue. To make it even more harder, some population in nature have these subtle differences and to me the only way to be sure is to know the progenies of the parent plant. Check out the vietnamense (red pigmentation staminode vs pure green) same can be said to godefroyae. Another example is the Cochlopetalum section. Might as well call all of them Pinocchio. (a little exaggeration on my part)

Obviously 90% of the plants in the market have unknown sources. This is the reason why I am so against back crosses. It just adds to the confusion.

Just to be clear. I am not saying Camellkc plant is a hybrid. But it has a possibility of being one. In-Charm is a reputable source but even reputable sources will have this hiccups especially if the parent plant's origin is questionable.

After rechecking the pictures, I have come to the conclusion that mine is MK x S while Camellk's probably is a sanderianum. But this back-crossing business makes it difficult. Quite a few awarded clones of different species has turned out to be hybrids. Eggshell mentiones a few, is there any pure leucochillum out there?, another one is that gigantic esquirolei Taka that might just as well be Hans Strahl ( Bidborough x esquiroleii) the last one was rewarded at the world congress in Dijon. JeanLux knows that story well.:evil::arrr::fight:

Last edited:
After rechecking the pictures, I have come to the conclusion that mine is MK x S while Camellk's probably is a sanderianum. But this back-crossing business makes it difficult. Quite a few awarded clones of different species has turned out to be hybrids. Eggshell mentiones a few, is there any pure leucochillum out there?, another one is that gigantic esquirolei Taka that might just as well be Hans Strahl ( Bidborouh x esquiroleii) the last one was rewarded at the world congress in Lyon. JeanLux knows that story well.:evil::arrr::fight:
Does this mean it's possible than my MK is an MK x S too? White ovaries and all, sanderianum seems to be rather dominant in it anyway:

15315288734_ee232501e1_b.jpg

We need more pictures from straight on showing the dorsal with the stripes and petal marking. I am really leaning to this not being a pure sanderianum. The petals look to wide, dorsal looks to wide, petals stay pretty wide after leaving the pouch and not very long petals. I would measure the dorsal also. In the best sanderianum breeding out there the dorsal width is around 2.5-2.9cm. More commonly it is 2-2.5cm. That is for the best breeding. Common clones are usually 1.5-2cm.

Mutant, I have no clue. But it is possible. This whole hybrid swarm seems to be....just that, a swarm.:confused:
Cheyenne, finally something tangible, thanks.;)

Just share the blooms. Compared with those owned by expertise, this is definitely not a good one but I only wish to touch this species.

DSCN0887_zpsb2a1d61a.jpg

I hope adult plant is easier for it to thrive afterward. :)

I think it is not clear sandy. Typical sandy has two "shoulders", too, formed by laterals.

Sandy like a body bilder with two melons under its armpits.

Thank you for your comment. I immediately screen through some photos posted in Google, and also those posted by Mr. Shen and note that shoulder is not a must for sanderianum. I think something changes after several breeding programmes and the petal width seems also varies. Some as wide as mine while some as narrow as 1 cm.

I have measured the DS and it is 2.1 cm.

Latest posts

Back