Newly acquired Paph. sanderianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camellkc

Reaction score
Just share the blooms. Compared with those owned by expertise, this is definitely not a good one but I only wish to touch this species.

DSCN0887_zpsb2a1d61a.jpg

I hope adult plant is easier for it to thrive afterward. :)

Can you show a picture of the ovaries? They should be entirely white. I have a similar which I doomed to be a Michael Koopowitctz'ich hybrid. Nice but not the real stuff. Sorry for this but it is a lovely plant anyhow; - and if the ovaries are white, I'd go for sanderianum.

Can you show a picture of the ovaries? They should be entirely white. I have a similar which I doomed to be a Michael Koopowitctz'ich hybrid. Nice but not the real stuff. Sorry for this but it is a lovely plant anyhow; - and if the ovaries are white, I'd go for sanderianum.

I will try to take a picture for your comment after I go home tonight. To my understanding, however, if it is MK hybrid, its pouch's color will be yellowish. It comes from In-Charm Orchid Nursery of Taiwan and I think the possibility of getting the wrong label is not high.

Thank you for your comments anyway, which I have learnt something on sanderianum.:)

There has been a lot of "close to sanderianum" hybrids around, probably because sanderianum is not growing well for most people while the hybrids do. So, if it is not extremely slow growing, I immediately think of hybrids. There has been some info about this in earlier posts by Roth, must be at least 4 years ag now? If you search his posts you might find it there. But of course if the ovary is white, then there should not be any doubt.
Lovely plant anyway.

Yes, if the ovary is white (sometimes with red hair for sandie), you can be sure that the plant is a straight sanderianum. With one exception: if you cross it with gigantifolium it will stay white, but there is no doubt that anyone will notice a gig in a hybrid :) I'd say that yours is a true sanderianum...

Thanks guys that you teach me a lesson. I have a sight on the ovaries that it is in white color. I am pretty sure that it is a pure sanderianum!:)

Naoki, no its not that one, its one about all the scams that are from Taiwan, perhaps the one with the rothschilianum he had? Checked it up and it was not, but here is the thread.
http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24294&highlight=sanderianum&page=3
There was also this story about a big import to the states that turned out to be hybrids, might remember wrongly here but believe it was sanderianums.

But I've seen several pictures of MKs with white ovaries and mine has white ovaries with some red hairs on them as well? So white ovaries doesn't necessarily mean it's straight sanderianum, or?

OP, I'm not doubting the ID of your plant, I'm just curious about the white ovaries in general. :)

Mine had almost white ovaries, but some light colored stripes along the ridges.

The ovaries look white to me, so I guess that the colouring really is faint. Very nice and chunky MK you've got there. Why not post pictures of it in its own thread? :poke:

I just realized that the ovaries have turned green on my MK. Could be because it's soon done flowering (it has dropped the first flower).

here you see it, excuse the quality of the picture;)
iBEN8.jpg

The pictures are from 2013. The plant is in good condition but has not flowered after this one occasion. Just after flowering, I managed to drop the plant onto the floor and crushed it quite badly. The plant took it well but did not look good afterwards. Hopefully there wil be another flowering soon:drool: No signs of it yet though:(

So you suffer from the 'fumblefingersyndrome', too? Sometimes I think it's my second hobby to drop the Paphs and see which ones survive... I'll keep my fingers crossed for your MK!

Oh, mine doesn't have that colouring at all. They're just white (or very lightly green now) and slightly hairy. Here's an equally bad picture of the ovary of mine when it started to open its second flower.

Attachments

• MKovary.jpg
    MKovary.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 27
???
now I am getting confused. How to definitely assure whether or not you have a sanderianum? Istvan?
B

Latest posts

Back