New cross test Cylypso x Changnienia

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Berthold

Reaction score
You can see on the picture who was the male in the cross test. One plant is looking at the other one.

12904663975_a2a3fd40fe_b.jpg

Wow!

As a related note, you mentioned that you were successful with asymbiotic propagation of Calypso bulbosa in the other thread. I'd love to know a bit of details (sterilization method, media, temp, light etc) if you don't mind (maybe in a new thread). I've heard that it is very difficult, but I'm interested in trying it.

Pollination worked. Both plants are down with there heads.

Changinienia was pollinated with foreign Changnienia pollen

12970029873_0d881c79bd_o.jpg

Both capsules in progress, left the intra family bastard Calypso X Changnienia

13240976953_22c9421c8d_o.jpg

It looks like the flower stalks become taller after pollination. Is this the case? I've noticed that in our neighborhood Calypso, the height of fruit seemed to be higher than the height of flowers. I guess it is a strategy to increase seed dispersal.

Thanks for the link to German forum. It took for a while to go through all of the message because I had to do google translate each message. But it was worth following the progress of C. bulboso. Amazing achievement!

Yes it becomes a little bit taller. It increases seed dispersal but I don't know, if that is the only reason.

If You have question in the German forum You can post in english also.

Exciting. Assuming the seeds are fertile, how long are you guessing until the offspring flower? 3 years? 7 years? 10+ years?

3 to 4 years I guess, with good feeding and no infections, a bit longer than Calypso. But I have no experience with sowing of Changnienia

Sorry, no success, only fresh air in the capsule. :mad:
Seed in the purebred Changnienia capsule is doing well I guess.

Latest posts

Back