Sanderianum?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kc6847

Reaction score
I recently received a flask of sanderianum from an international grower who sent me images of the parents used (sib cross). I'm not sure if the first one is sanderianum seeing how short the petal length is. Can anyone else confirm?

Attachments

• sanderianum TE parent 1.jpeg
    sanderianum TE parent 1.jpeg
    288.5 KB · Views: 1
  • sanderianum TE parent 2.jpeg
    sanderianum TE parent 2.jpeg
    312.3 KB · Views: 0
Based on these two photos, I agree the first one is questionable but not totally out of the range. The second one looks right tho.

Last edited:
I just saw these same pictures on ebay for a Shin yi Sanders sib: Paphiopedilum Shin-Yi Sanders x Sib(?), heavy Sanderianum cross mini-compot | eBay
Now, it is getting very sh*....ty....but I still think the photos are of sanderianum(although first one "might be" questionable IMO and the pouch color is a bit light/yellowish also). I wonder if it is the same seller using those photos to sell the hybrid.
Some Shin-Yi Sander flowers do look like miniature sanderianum and I have one of those, with lighter colors compared to the pure sanderianum. Just based on photos, it is hard to tell in some cases.

I'm not a taxonomist, but I don't think that first plant is sanderianum. First of all, 6 flowers is very unlikely in that species. Second, the staminode is too wide for sanderianum. It is probably Michael Koopowitz or Michael Koopowitz x sanderianum.

Dave

I'm not a taxonomist, but I don't think that first plant is sanderianum. First of all, 6 flowers is very unlikely in that species. Second, the staminode is too wide for sanderianum. It is probably Michael Koopowitz or Michael Koopowitz x sanderianum.

Dave

Good point about the flower count. It is very sanderianum dominant, so much more likely to be something like MK X sanderianum. I don't think it could be MK itself.

Actually, five flowers per spike are quite common for a well-grown sanderianum...On the first photo, I do agree with the staminode and dorsal shape observations.
Just a note: Shin-Yi Sanders = MK X sanderianum

Latest posts

Back