my rant about certain people who buy orchids

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ehanes7612

Reaction score
Not sure where to post this: so I had an ebay customer (I rarely sell on ebay and now I know why) who got a multigrowth phrag really cheap (I set the bid at 0 cause I just wanted to get rid of it)..15.00 plus shipping. Then afterwards they asked what else I had for sale..they decided to get a BS Eumelia Arias that I was selling for 30.00. Pretty cheap I think..it was a beautiful plant for one. Well, they received it and complained about the size....saying because they received a multigrowth plant for 15 before , they were expecting the EA to be multigrowth because it cost more. I could have handled it better but since I don't really have a business and I can be picky to who I sell..I schooled them on the protocols with selling orchids, and I decided to tell them don't ever ask me for plants again..I don't need this. I don't have patience for these types of consumers, people who price only according to size, who only see the value of a plant in how much space it could fill up ..that would be like asking a painter to sell his/her paintings only according to frame size. I could never sell orchids for a living or even a real business...I applaud those who do and deal with this crap. I think I am done selling orchids unless I absolutely have to.

Last edited:
Selling orchids takes a huge investment in time to avoid such problems. You have to spend a lot of time communicating. To avoid problems like you had you need to show the customer several pictures and make sure the are aware of the plant size and condition. All that takes more time than the profit margin of a $30 plant allows. That's why pro growers charge more money, to cover the time involved.

Then as you found out one PITA customer can ruin your day. Wait until they give you a neg feedback on the plant that was not even offered on ebay!
Hell freezes over and then it thaws out and you will sell another orchid.
:wink:

well, hell has frozen over because NyEric had no comment

it was more about their communication..they said it was their fault for not asking more details about the plant but still had to tell me how disappointed they were, followed by what was bordering on diatribe, seeming to elude to it being my fault...I don't do passive aggressive communication well (unless it's jabs with NyEric, but that's all in good fun)..Ebay customers are the worst, they want something for nothing ..found that out by working at seattle orchid. I work in customer service and have to treat my job as 'the customer is always right'..but selling orchids isn't my job..so i don't feel compelled to bend over backwards. anyway, I am tired of taking financial losses on my plants and taking time to mail the plants out, and then have a customer imply that I mislead them ..it's not worth the aggravation..I would rather just trade from now on.

I sell on ebay and 99% of the buyers are very reasonable and appreciative. But now and then you get some creep who complains even though I post a good pic with a something like a hand or a pen for size reference. But all in all it's still a good way for me to move surplus plants. I would love to trade them but not so easy to find someone who's willing!

You do just fine by the people you sell plants to Ed. You're honest about
the condition of the plants, pack well and ship sooner than later. Don't
let one or two assholes get you down, dearie.

Go ahead, Eric, I know you're gonna blow a gasket if you don't! ;>)

Go ahead, Eric, I know you're gonna blow a gasket if you don't! ;>)

I appreciate that..

(go ahead Eric, it's okay)

Several years ago I had a guy send me an absolutely insulting and irate email, because the plant he got from me was "completely infested with mealy bugs." I was stunned, as I have not seen a mealy in my greenhouse in years.

Then I looked it up, and he had purchased the plant some 6 months earlier. I explained my lack-of-bugs, and the time he had had the plant pretty much ruled out the infestation originating with me, and I still got a response telling me I should take better care of my plants.

Since then, I have not heard another word.

You're absolutely right. That's why I try to give positive feedback when I am pleased with a purchase - especially when it's an individual or small firm.

Retail can be VERY difficult. There are plenty of really great people; but, now and then you meet someone who makes you question why you're doing this at all. Sometimes you get a person who doesn't understand that BS means "Blooming Size", not Massive, Huge Specimen Plant. However, most people who don't understand exactly what is "normal" for the price, etc., are newbies and they will listen and learn if you take the time to teach them. But, then there are the people who are NEVER wrong. I could just smack those people.

I especially have issues with people who do not care for their plants and then they blame the vendor for the resulting problems. I once had a customer who bought a 5 bulb Coelogyne Burfordiense from me when I was selling at the St. Lawrence Market in Toronto. It had huge, plump pseudobulbs that could kill a person if you swung the plant hard enough. She brought it back to me 2 weeks later, very shrivelled. It had all it's roots and otherwise looked fine. I said she must've put it someplace very warm and then hadn't watered it enough. Well! Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.....about how wrong I was. She'd been watering it copiously every day, etc., etc. I know what I'm looking at and the potting medium and the roots clearly showed an extended lack of water, not an excess. Finally, to get rid of her, I said I'd let her take a replacement. I told her that there was NO warrantee on the replacement and I would not ever sell her anything else. She took her replacement and left. I took her plant back to my greenhouse and watered the hell out of it over the next week. Because it's problem was her lack of watering, the roots had not rotted, they worked just fine once water was available. The pseudobulbs plumped back up to full volume within days and I took the plant back to the market the next week and sold it to someone else.

That women probably took her new plant home, stuck it in her window and forgot to water it at all while she had it. Then, noticing it's poor condition, she got all upset at me for selling her a live plant that actually needed to be cared for! Some people are so unreasonable. I have actually told some "customers" to buy plastic flowers instead because caring for something alive doesn't seem to be in their skill-set. I don't care if they never come back to me again. It is better to let some people burden the competition with their antics and not take up my time and cause me stress.

So ehanes, why don't you ask your customer this: Since in their world everything of the same size, weight and volume is the same price, ask him where you can get a pound of lobster for the same price as a pound of potatoes!

Lol!

This is why I always try to be polite with any vendor of anything, because there are too many stupid (or just ignorant) people and they don't need nonsense from me; life is short. I just bought some veggie seedlings on ebay, and one was a little small and died on the way; I mentioned to the vendor who I haven't heard back from, but will give them time to straighten things out. Also bought two pie plates from a nice lady who didn't know how to wrap them or mark the box 'fragile', and you guessed it they were smashed quite thoroughly. I contacted her politely and offered pictures, no reply yet but will give them time. My life will go on while waiting for more peppers and a pie plate, and I'm just glad it wasn't something more costly or expensive..,

... And then I go online at night to play in hearts tournaments and get very agleravated because of stupid play(ers) and ruin my good karma! :rollhappy:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I appreciate that..

(go ahead Eric, it's okay)

so I had an ebay customer (I rarely sell on ebay and now I know why) who got a multigrowth phrag really cheap (I set the bid at 0 cause I just wanted to get rid of it)..15.00 plus shipping. Then afterwards they asked what else I had for sale..they decided to get a BS Eumelia Arias that I was selling for 30.00. Pretty cheap I think..it was a beautiful plant for one. I think I am done selling orchids unless I absolutely have to.

BOOM!! Did you see my head actually explode from your house!?
You should have made a deal with me, I am usually very appreciative of plants from the Ed Hanes Collection.

BOOM!! Did you see my head actually explode from your house!?
You should have made a deal with me, I am usually very appreciative of plants from the Ed Hanes Collection.

okay next time I have a dark multifloral for sale..you will be the first to know

I must agree entirely with this statement!!!! I've gotten excellent plants for my growing conditions from you - and recommendations of what to pass on. I'd buy or trade orchids in a heartbeat with you Ed.

Happy up, Ed. Look all the fine endorsements you have here. We love ya!

In the wholesale tree nursery business, some customers think we're responsible for trees that died they bought five years ago and didn't water.
Oy vey!

Latest posts

Back