My Paph. rungsuriyanum arrived US safely.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the interesting things with CITES is that different branches in various countries interpret policy differently. So while the USA may have the Lacey act and say no to imports of certain species, some countries have no issue with plants that have been grown in flask and imported from a country that has permitted their legal export. Now that said, not every country will allow legal export. You have to find one and a source from that country to get them legally in. Its rather simple if you want to make the effort and if your country will play ball.

Its a sad thing that some countries do not want to allow legal breeding plants to be exported early in the peace to help prevent the illegal stripping of these species from the wild. I have been told by a Phd student that some of these countries in relation to Paphs, the politicians are quite connected to the smugglers and so there is no interest to legalise them. Legalising and breeding them would reduce the price for illegal plants. You only have to have a look at such countries to see how corrupt their politicians are and you now its on the money.

It is the same thing and has been for years with the Red Asian Arowana. Although they are breed in captivity and widely available legally in Singapore and other countries, the US and other countries do not allow them.

There are both good arguments pro and con for this policy.

Someone please import these legally to the US so we can enjoy them too.

Well I will continue to work with the plants I have that have been legally accepted into Australia. It is my aim that in time I will export them as mature plants with CITES documents as I have been assured that will be possible by the CITES office here in Australia given that my plants came in as legitimate seed grown plants in flask. Trust me, some ars&h*ole reported me to the CITES compliance office in Australia. The CITES compliance office asked me to email scans of my permits and guess what. They accepted them and assured me my plants were legitimate and legal.

I just love it when those who are jealous and haters get stiffed. :rollhappy: :evil:

Do you think they would allow you phyto and CITES for export of a pod of each? We appreciate all the hard work as well!

Did you ask the CITES compliance office how they got your name and from whom? :evil:

Sadly they wont provide that as such complaints are private. I have my suspicious. Just jealous old sh*ts who got peeved when I would not sell them plants :rollhappy:

What I was told is that if I can produce flasks CITES here will help me with a CITES document to say it was legally produced in Australia and they permitted its export with a locally produced phyto. But I am told that to export to the USA, it is better to send plants with an Australia CITES, not flasks as the plants for some reason are less likely to be rejected.

What got me about the complaint was the the Dept of Agriculture inspected all of the rungsuriyanum and canhii flasks I imported in the past. These jerks asserted they must have been fake. Grrr.. I dont think our inspectors here are that stupid.

Last edited:
Lance, with the many emails, documents that CITES in Australia has given, they would have a legal minefield to travel if they wanted to reverse their decision that allowed me to bring the plants in as flasks. They have several times told me flasks are ok as long as I had country of export that gave me permits. It would be hard for them to go back on this.

Latest posts

Back