My new paphs

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
O

orchideya

They came from the orchid show pre-orders.
Three paphs from Piping Rock:

Paphs_from_Piping_Rock.jpg

They are - Fanaticum, sanderianum and Magic Lanthern. I must say that Piping Rock really rocks. I paid for the NBS Fanaticum, but got a BS!

Paph. St. Swithin from Crystal Star:

St-Swithin_and_Princess.jpg

It has 4 growths in total, but they somehow separated two and two apart, so it could be maybe two plants with two growths each. I am new to multies, so have no idea about its growth habit and wouldn't dare to pull it out and look. What do you guys think?

Thank you for looking.

Nice! Probably time to repot the Saint Swithin anyway.

Multis are easy...just give them very bright light and plenty of water in the growing season, along with regular feeding. Give them warm-intermediate temps but a little cool in the winter is OK.

Also important to have calcium in your water or top-dress the mix with limestone.

Yes! sanderianum... thats the start. prepare to accumulate 50 or more paphs. THat's a good thing.

Nice Plants! It that a Phal bellina? I recently picked up a compot of Phal bellina 'Ingrid Ohh' x 'Joy'

Papman910

Thanks everybody!
Paphman910, it is P. Princess Kaiulani (violacea X amboinensis). I really like violacea and bellina and have several of them, and now decided to collect hybrids with their influence. Like their flowers shape and not to mention fragrance.
I have Phal bellina 'Ingrid Ohh' x 'Joy' seedling, got it from Kingfishers Orchids. Does your compot come from there too?

Yes! sanderianum... thats the start. prepare to accumulate 50 or more paphs. THat's a good thing.
Yep, you are right! Multies started to grow on me. My next one on the wish list is Paph stonei, but I can't find it here in Canada for some reason. Another I would get is Paph. Lady Isabel - it has a stonei parent.

Thanks everybody!
Paphman910, it is P. Princess Kaiulani (violacea X amboinensis). I really like violacea and bellina and have several of them, and now decided to collect hybrids with their influence. Like their flowers shape and not to mention fragrance.
I have Phal bellina 'Ingrid Ohh' x 'Joy' seedling, got it from Kingfishers Orchids. Does your compot come from there too?

Yes, Met up with Patrick at his greenhouse and saw his Phal bellina 'Ingrid Ohh' but it was not in flower! The leaves look like a dinner plate!

He gave me a Phal pallens keiki and Paph lowii for free!

Paphman910

Yep, you are right! Multies started to grow on me. My next one on the wish list is Paph stonei, but I can't find it here in Canada for some reason. Another I would get is Paph. Lady Isabel - it has a stonei parent.

I know who has a compot of stonei. Paphman!

Yes, Met up with Patrick at his greenhouse and saw his Phal bellina 'Ingrid Ohh' but it was not in flower! The leaves look like a dinner plate!

He gave me a Phal pallens keiki and Paph lowii for free!

Paphman910

So nice to get great plants and for free!
I got several phals from him including these two that bloomed during winter:
Kuntrarti Rarashati 'Copperstate'
Phal_Kuntrarti_Rarashati2.jpg

and

Phalaenopsis fasciata 'Shaffers'
Phal_fasciata_bloom.jpg

His plants are really of the high quality. I am waiting for the new spring catalogue.

Thank you very much for the complements on my phal blooms. I realized that they don't really belong to this forum. Sorry about it.
Back to my paphs.
Do you guys think I need to repot the St-Swithin? It is really well established in the pot and has strong root system. I tried to pull on the leaves and heavy pot just lifted up.
Thanks.

Yes it's a good idea that whenever you bought a plant to repot it ASAP. This will be a good time to check for pest and diseases soo your existing collection will not be affected if the do have some. This will be the perfect chance as well to switch to medium that you are accustomed to so no more guess work.

Thanks a lot, eggshells.
I read more on the medium, asked the owner of Piping Rock and decided to move my paphs out of clay pots with straight chc back to plastic pots with bark mix.
In regards to bark, I only have the option of the Shultz Orchid mix (looks like bark, perlite and maybe charcoal, but some pieces are too large)available now.
Now, this might sound ridiculous, but here is what I did for some of my parvis yesterday (to the big amusement of my family :)).
I took the woooden crate that they sell clementines in. It has small round holes in the bottom. I put there some of the shultz mix and shaked. Whatever went through the holes was fine enough, so I used it to re-pot several parvi paphs.
Would that mix work for multies or should I add something else there?
Thanks again.

This is just my opinion but i didn't really like the shultz orchid bag. I may have gotten a bad bag. But when I opened it, It was full of fungus gnats. Not to mention that they break down easily and turns into mud. I used to use chc and its a good medium provided you soak it thoroughly. I really liked it especially in winter where the air is really dry. You need to flush it with pure water regularly as well. That means every other watering for me. The only downside for me is the preparation. It is very tedious. I also think that soft water will help a lot. However my friend paphman has very good success with it. You'll be amazed how big is his paph stonei. From Large seedling to now.

I mixed my own mix now. Fine bark, perlite and charcoal. For multis, I use the same mix but I put lava rock (when I prefer weight on the pots) or hydroton for drainage at the bottom of the pots.

Back