My new greenhouse

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow!!! Beautiful!! Someday.... I will get one like yours!! Soon as I win the lottery!!

Thank you, Gilda and Troy.

It's 36' X 16' and needs to be filled once everything settles down. There are still issues with it, 4 evaporative coolers and aluminum shading proved not to be enough to keep the temperatures down. Still waiting for the fitted shades to arrive and they will come back to install it.

Wonderful growing space, but it needs some mess in there.
If you can spare the money, it would be wise to install two
louvers/shutters in one end and an exhaust fan at the
opposite end along with some humidifiers. That keeps the air moving and the high humidity keeps the plants
cooler. The louvers and exhaust fans can be set on
timers/ temp. control to come on automatically. Yeah,
I know, more money!

Wow! Beautiful growing area. I echo Angela's comments; invest in a ventilation system that would also act as a backup in case the cooling system shoots craps. Aluminet shade cloth will be a big help in keeping summer temps down. An under-bench misting system controlled by a humidistat would also be something I'd look into.

Welcome to Georgia when it comes to building or adding to your property!

This greenhouse sent Texas Greenhouse engineers to the drawing boards many times. It had to be built to withstand Hurricane #3 category, even the top and side vents had to be retrofitted with automatic controls to shut down once the wind reaches 75mph in order to pass the inspections. Thankfully, they didn't scrape the aluminum shades but once the shade cloths arrive, we'll get an inspection on it too since they have to drill certain parts of the structure.

My only other option for cooler air is the split air conditioner/heater combo to replace the heater.

The heating system is Modine LP heater, not very important in this part of the state. We get few nights below 40F, overall winter nights are in the 50's.

What could the inspectors possibly object to removing
two panels on either side of the front entrance and one
exhaust fan in the back??? Wait until the inspectors leave
and install the louvers/exhaust fan yourself. It's really
quite easy to do. I won't tell if you don't!

Thank you for not telling Angela.:D

Actually, it has to do with hurricane regulations where the wind can penetrate blowing out glass and metal dangering public or something to that effect. You should see the flood vents they requested to be in place. Smart vents and can only open when it senses water over certain pressure.

Damn! What a mess! Too many regs. It doesn't look like you're anywhere near public space. Are you?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

When I first started reading this post I said to myself that looks very similar to mine. Then I see it is also a Texas Greenhouse. I assume you went with polycarbonate, did you? I went with double glass and the motors have always had a hard time pushing out the vents. Next year I may pull out the glass on the vents and replace it with polycarbonate in order to cut down on the wait. Also we had to put screws threw the push outs so that we didn't get slippage. I am currently in the process of putting a exhaust fan. I can't put a vent on the other side of the greenhouse because it is attached to the house. However, it should work fine with the bottom vents. Texas Greenhouse stated we only needed one small interior fan. We have four, two of the original small ones and a couple of larger ones.

Marshes of Georgia, it involve the county run off officials, Army Corps of Engineers and Dept.of Natural Resources. Can't even move a single blade of grass without having them breathing down your neck but we wanted marsh front and possibly deep water, got both wishes fulfilled. We have 12 acres, only 3 acres is on high grounds and have neighbours on either side hence we must comply with every rules and regulations.

Damn! What a mess! Too many regs. It doesn't look like you're anywhere near public space. Are you?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

It is tempered glass on 3 sides, only the back where coolers and heating system area is polycarbonate. I also have 3 upper fans plus the evaporative coolers are set on high, it's like a wind tunnel in there. I keep checking the leaves when the temperatures hit 90+, they feel cool to the touch. Have few intermediate Phrags and they are sitting on the floor where it is 10 to 15 degrees cooler. I have a misting system for cooling but too afraid to turn it on due to high temps- high humidity conditions.
I joined the St.Augustine Orchid Society (same hardiness zone) hoping I can learn how to grow in this heat and humidity, things I didn't worry much up north.:)

When I first started reading this post I said to myself that looks very similar to mine. Then I see it is also a Texas Greenhouse. I assume you went with polycarbonate, did you? I went with double glass and the motors have always had a hard time pushing out the vents. Next year I may pull out the glass on the vents and replace it with polycarbonate in order to cut down on the wait. Also we had to put screws threw the push outs so that we didn't get slippage. I am currently in the process of putting a exhaust fan. I can't put a vent on the other side of the greenhouse because it is attached to the house. However, it should work fine with the bottom vents. Texas Greenhouse stated we only needed one small interior fan. We have four, two of the original small ones and a couple of larger ones.

Latest posts

Back