my greenhouse

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
for things like the slugs and snails, if you put strips of copper or zinc around your bench legs it will repel them. I just read that zinc strips are more commonly found, but if you can find copper or zinc mesh screening, it will do the same thing as long as the strips are wide enough so that the bug would have to put all of themselves onto the strip before they could get across

edit - is that copper is more effective, but that zinc works

edit again - right after I typed this I followed another link, and someone was mentioning about how they were visiting a hosta garden where they had copper strips around all of the bench legs, and they saw a slug crawling right across the strip, and the hosta beds/leaves looked like swiss cheese.

so, i've heard this lots before, but it looks like your mileage could vary

My solution for snails and slugs is Diotomaceous Earth scattered all around
the benches and even on the top of pots if I get mad enough. It's never
failed me and it's relatively cheap and isn't harmful to the environment.
Our local Lowes almost always has it in stock. I also use it around my
hosta and it works with only a couple of applications a summer.

Update on my greenhouse. We are under and have been under a flash flood warning for several hours and will be for several more. Rain is falling in my area at about 2 inches per hour, sometimes more. The floor of my greenhouse has a river 12 feet wide and 4 inches deep running through it and the heliconia and ginger patch next to my retaining wall 20 feet away is knee deep. Welcome to paradise!:sob:

Do you have to worry about water in the crowns of paphs, phrags, or phals?

I know phals grow upside down in the wild but how do the paphs and phrags cope?

Do you have to worry about water in the crowns of paphs, phrags, or phals?

I know phals grow upside down in the wild but how do the paphs and phrags cope?

No, because the phals I have are growing on the tree next to my greenhouse and the phrags are unrder cover.

005-1_zps8d916346.jpg

Update on my greenhouse. We are under and have been under a flash flood warning for several hours and will be for several more. Rain is falling in my area at about 2 inches per hour, sometimes more. The floor of my greenhouse has a river 12 feet wide and 4 inches deep running through it and the heliconia and ginger patch next to my retaining wall 20 feet away is knee deep. Welcome to paradise!:sob:
Oh, my! That is a lot of water. Hopefully, it will subside soon and not cause damage.

So cool! Make sure you post a picture of it when it blooms. What species/hybrid is it?

Not sure, it was in the tree when we bought the house. I think it may be schilleriana. The roots are everywhere and there are keikis popping out where the roots 'pinch' and then continue. The plants are small and there are 2 in spike...

Just as I started reading your post on rain, a deluge hit here. It's done
nothing but rain here for weeks with only three days of sun. Sometimes
I'm grateful for my greenhouse and sometimes I ain't. I'm sorry about your
shade house...it looked so neat and clean. Look at the bright side, at least
it's warm there.

Oh it's still clean, cleaner now in fact. The greenhouse is on the high side of the property. The water from the neighbors yard was rushing through. I am going to put a 30 inch high CMU wall with a chain link fence on top. That way I can hang my Dendrobium and Cattleya species on the fence!

update on my greenhouse

Worked in the yard by the greenhouse today. Took out the remaining stump of the Mountain Apple tree and dug a trench as well as a swail to keep the water coming through the middle of the greenhouse in extremely heavy rain. Tomorrow I will be planting an Avacado tree in the front yard and doing the groundwork to add another 200 square feet to my greenhouse!:rollhappy:

Latest posts

Back