my greenhouse

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

limuhead

Only 400square feet under cover, adding another 200 square feet next weekend, just for Phrags(maybe a few Paphs as well)!
007_zps6840bab3.jpg

008_zpsd130b116.jpg

006_zps9ba16cfd.jpg

Very nice greenhouse. I bet is you show us a picture in a few weeks we would be able to see the plants grow. The environment is perfect there. That was one of the things I about Hawaii I loved, the greenhouse with just shadecloth, not enclosed. With the breeze blowing through, and rain coming in. Great.

The first thing I noticed is how neat and clean the area is...very organized.
I agree with Dot...I can't imagine being able to grow outside in a shade
house. Do you have any problems with insect infestation?

All the hanging plants are Cattleya, Doritis, Dendrobium, and Laelia species, with a few odds and ends thrown in. I have a few Phrags, but I think the plants that look like Paphs or Phrags are Miltoniopsis, they can get pretty good size here. The bench outside along the greenhouse under the lychee tree is more Cattleya and Dendrobium species and Cymbidiums...

Awesome growing area! Anyone who has bigger than a 12 square foot growing area is considered vey fortunate in my opinion! :)

The first thing I noticed is how neat and clean the area is...very organized.
I agree with Dot...I can't imagine being able to grow outside in a shade
house. Do you have any problems with insect infestation?

That is the major drawback of Hawaii- insects are a problem, almost as bad as Bush snails. I have noticed that the plants in hanging baskets have little or no snail problems and no noticable insects other than minimal fungus gnats. I am seriously considering putting all of my plants; Paphs and Phrags included into baskets and hanging them. Benches in my opinion while necessary are a great transportation system for snails, insects, and disease.

Interesting system you use for hanging yours catts and co!!!! Are those wire hangers, or cord sling or ..? Jean

As a carpenter I am always looking for materials to use to save money for my orchid supplies. The wires are actually accoustical ceiling wire that is used to hang the grid ceilings in commercial buildings. $26.00 for a bundle of 100. I can get 2 hangers per wire and the extra 12 inch piece is great for rhizome clips or I can make wire clip pot hangers that will work for 3, 4, or 6 inch pots. Thats about $.13 per hanger and they are stronger than store bought ones.

Latest posts

Back