Moving into an old greenhouse!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like your new GH. Very big too. But it is better than asking your wife to share your bedroom with all those ladies (slipper). How long did you share your house with your orchids??? I would have a broken marriage if I force that sort of arrangement, "My Way". I am curious to know how much rent do you have to pay??? - No one I know here (and abroad) would have to rent a greenhouse for his hobby!!!!
Note : Hope you now know how to have thumbnails in PhotoBucket. I am still learning how to get the right size for the thumbnail, which can be "zoomed in". If you do, please share this knowledge with me , Howard.

Forget the thumbnails, use the link just above the thumbnail.

OK! finally the awaited day has come! I've now been "in" the greenhouse for a couple weeks and in the interim also got a wonderful new puppy to accompany me there! I'll post pix in the next day or two. I'm settling in and still have lots of space for more plants. I haven't spread out the plants completely yet, since I don't yet know where each will go. I'm busily getting things like assembling a small outside kennel for the pup accomplished. I don't want her inside if I'm spraying something! Otherwise she has a bed up on the front bench by the door! I promise pix verrrry soon!

Looking forward to the pictures, can only dream of the day I get my own greenhouse at the moment.

The greenhouse is ten minutes door-to-door from home. A hop,skip,and jump down the freeway. I have lots of space right now, but don't worry - it will fill up! I'm ordering more flasks to grow out and if anyone has any suggestions for flasks they would be interested in getting mini-compots grown from, let me know! I'm going to be doing a lot of that.

The greenhouse is ten minutes door-to-door from home. A hop,skip,and jump down the freeway. I have lots of space right now, but don't worry - it will fill up! I'm ordering more flasks to grow out and if anyone has any suggestions for flasks they would be interested in getting mini-compots grown from, let me know! I'm going to be doing a lot of that.

super cool that it's so close!
do you have a temperature alarm to call you if things go wrong?

There's no phone line in the greenhouse. I've been thinking about the alarm system idea but am currently stumped by the lack of phone. I might connect one just for that purpose, though! What thoughts does everyone have? Systems to suggest that are reasonable?

i did a quick look for cellular dialers that work with things like sensaphone (the unit that calls us if the temp alert sensors indicate the temp is out of the preset limits). they're out there but wicked expensive....

I'm going to look into the cost to get a new phoneline installed and costed for basic service. This is all getting just a bit expensive, but probably necessary.. so, guys, tell me some stories about making a space like this pay for itself ultimately...I've considered taking on a SFOrchid Society member as a sub-tenant for a while. I may do that. We'll see. I'd rather not, if I can help it, though.

What about raising a small amount of plants to sell to SFO or nearby groups as a monthly raffle table? Many groups in the area spend upwards of $300-$400 per month. Many times the monthly speaker will be the one selling the plants, but there are times when a plant table is needed. But, as with any hobby, the minute you start looking to make money, it seems the fun and life can drain out of the hobby venture. So, I'd caution you about that...

Latest posts

Back