Moving into an old greenhouse!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whoooooeee! Big progress today! And I'll post photos shortly. Ramon, you might well have looked into one of these greenhouses -owned by Jim DiMattei. The one I'm taking is the "little" one in the front, behind the Gomez nursery office. I imagine Jim has been trying to rent one of these for a while and when I got there his price had gone down enough for me to try it.

OK. That works, but I want to have clickable thumbnails or correctly sized images in my posts. Help! I'm too tired to figure all this out right now!

Yeah! I'm utterly ecstatic! Tomorrow I'll spend much of the day there, working on ordering gravel, getting the delivery lined up as soon as Thursday, getting my insurance policy for the place, etc. I'm a busy beaver! Our little community of four men and me in our separate growing spaces is coming together now, too. I'll give the space a housewarming when I get the plants in!

I just keep on looking at these pictures in awe! It seems very large to me, but I know very well that it will fill up fast. My plan is to be ordering several more flasks of prime paph crosses to spread out as they grow up, as well as to give all my plants of all the genera more space than they have in my home growrooms. I'd like to close down all the home growing spaces, but I'll have to see what I can readily grow there without too much heating expense before I really know.

whoa!!!!! that is gigantic.
Good colour choice in a decor perspective.
You are very lucky to be in California, since heating expense is not too bad....in Edmonton it would cost a fortune

Thanks for the color choice agreement, Fren! I chose it to help reflect light back up from below and to be just generally soothing and soft. I really hate the forest green the benches were painted before.. it's sort of jarring with the yellow-green leaves of orchids. And, yes, this greenhouse would indeed cost a fortune to heat in the north! I'm actually not looking forward to that part even here!

I noticed you said you were going to leave the top of your division curtain open so heat could spill over. Won't that kind of defeat the divider curtain?

Yes, Lance, depending on how open it is, you're certainly right. I'm thinking of only the space left between the top support board and the roof - just a few inches. If it ends up equalizing too much, I can close it up. I'm experimenting...

This space looks very familiar to me. It's not part of the g.h. that White Oak Orchids used to rent is it?

Candace, that's certainly possible. I'll try to find out. The most recent tenant was Juvenal Gomez who has Gateway boarding nursery.

Latest posts

Back