Miltoniopsis hybrids 2011

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Temps got too warm?

Nice displayes, good growing. what is the lowii hybrid (?) on the top right?

I don't know Eric. It didn't happen on any other Milts and I have flowered this particular one so many times before without a problem. It has never really got that hot here so far. Hopefully it is just a one-off. It would have looked pretty nice with a whole lot more flowers. This was my first Milt actually many years ago. So it is pretty tough surviving all my initial abuses.

Paph Julius.

It looks like there's a little cyan imbalance -- it's seen in the leaves and in the whites of the flowers. Otherwise, your photos are beautiful, David. They capture the beauty of these flowers wonderfully. And I'll bet you home is very fragrant with these flowers in it.

Thanks Dot. Those leaves don't look quite right do they. When I get home from work, I'll try and post a photo of how it came out of the camera which will show the initial problem. It never happened with any of the other Milts.

Very nice miltonipsis ( and paphs...).

In the Netherlands, Van der Weijden in Kudelstaart, possibly the largest miltoniopsis pot plant grower, grows a lot of varieties ( including Jersey, St Helier, etc...). They are grown very warm, with phalaenopsis seedlings. In fact before he was a phalaenopsis grower, but then he changed to miltoniopsis. Miltoniopsis are not odontoglossum, they are warmer growers, and can be warm growers ( with a cooling period to bloom them with nice colors however...).

Vacherot and Lecoufle used to grow all the miltoniopsis motherplants hot too, with their phalaenopsis motherplants. They grew the seedlings cooler, because of costs matter, but that's it. Very big clumps, and no rot. Miltoniopsis in my experience like lime, and quite alkaline potting mix to avoid the dreadful orange rot...

Brett. We get temps above 30oC in Canberra but in my glasshouse it would rarely get hotter than this. Temps above 30oC will stress these plants out. They will probably survive a few days like this but you would want to keep them wet and humid. I have bought a few plants off John Robertson so he obviously grows them up there. So does John Woolf although he is at a higher altitude.

John is on the sunshine coast in the hinterland (I believe). Its quite a bit cooler there, like Toowoomba, than Brisbane. The few I have are decidedly happier with a new fan and misting system than prior years.

It looks like there's a little cyan imbalance -- it's seen in the leaves and in the whites of the flowers. Otherwise, your photos are beautiful, David. They capture the beauty of these flowers wonderfully. And I'll bet you home is very fragrant with these flowers in it.

Firstly, I can't smell a thing. Maybe only some of them have fragrance. Or maybe I have no sense of smell.

This is how it looked out of the camera. It is much more burgundy/velvety in real life. I changed the white balance so it was a lot cooler. I think the burgundy colour was much closer but agree the leaves don't look right.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Really!? I only was interested in album and its hybrids! I will look for one of those. Are there any clonal names?

Here is another post with a closeup of that plant just to be certain this is what you are talking about. These look a bit more colourful as they are not so washed out due to the bright light high in the glasshouse photo.

http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23191&

As for clonal names, I don't know. Mine is just a basic clone, nothing special. I'm sure there would be some superior clones in the US but I'm not an expert on them.

Like this, David?

DavidsMilt.jpg

Hello David,
I know miltonias and miltoniopsis aren't the same thing, but do you and the collective wisdom on the forum think that your chopped sphagnum/perlite media would work well for miltonia spectabilis?

Like this, David??

Thanks Dot. Yes, that is a lot better. What did you do? Just adjust the colours?

Hello David,
I know miltonias and miltoniopsis aren't the same thing, but do you and the collective wisdom on the forum think that your chopped sphagnum/perlite media would work well for miltonia spectabilis?

Charles, I have never grown the Miltonia's myself so it is hard for me to comment. The Miltoniopsis themselves need a lot of moisture, particularly in summer. So I find the mix I am using retains a lot of moisture but still chunky enough to allow air into it. I am not sure if Miltonia's are so mositure dependent.

Thanks Dot. Yes, that is a lot better. What did you do? Just adjust the colours?

Yes. When I saw your original photo, I realized you were on the right track. But I took a different approach: there is a yellow cast to everything. So I moved the yellow slider in Color Balance toward blue (in all three areas: midtones, highlights and shadows. That made the edge of the red/majenta color too bright a majenta. So in Hue/Saturation, I moved the majenta saturation slider a bit to the desaturate side.

I'm not sure why this happens with digital cameras, but I've noticed that I can be photographing flowers in the same light and at the same photo session. One can be spot-on with color and another I can have a heck of a time getting the color just right.

Latest posts

Back