Miltoniopsis hybrids 2011

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emydura

Reaction score
I have had a good season with the Miltoniopsis. Here are a few photos of some of my hybrids. I changed my mix to 50% chopped sphagnum and 50% coarse perlite and my plants have done much better as a result.

Milt. Nancy Binks 'Star Struck' - probably my favourite

comh.jpg

This would have looked a lot better but unfortunately 5 or 6 flowers aborted for some reason. It has never happened before to me.

Milt. Fire Water 'Red Butterfly'

comb.jpg

Milt. Elizabeth Castle 'Lilac' x Maufant - another favourite. Big pink flowers.

xmaufant2com.jpg

Milt. Kelly 'Bulls Eye'

43195978.jpg

Milt. Jersey

jersey3com.jpg

Milt. Jean Carlsun

jeancarlsuncom.jpg

Milt. Breathless 'Good Woman'

breathlessbrilliantcom.jpg

Milt. Andy Easton 'Globe Master' x Violet Tears.jpg

xviolettears.jpg

Milt. Rising Sun - this will look stunning when it gets bigger

risingsuncom.jpg

Milt. Red Woodham

redwoodhamcom.jpg

Milt. Red Knight 'The King'

comhk.jpg

I grow them on the bottom bench on the left, so they get a bit of shade. Although on a bright sunny day they still get good light.

orchidhousephotocom.jpg

As they are on the bottom bench I have to bring them inside when flowering as the flowers will get ruined by the water.

onthetablecom.jpg

Congratulations for blooming them so perfectly David!!!! Extreme beauties on your photos; maybe the last, the King would be my fav.!!!! Jean

(as I killed up to 10 of those I am able to appreciate your successful growing)

Allthough I''m not a big fan of these hybrids the first one is really striking and I would actually have a spot for it in my house. :rollhappy:

I must say thought that you have grown them well and you've done a fine job of the photo's you took. :clap:

I'm wondering though if the colour balance is wrong in the picture below:

comhk.jpg

There is a lot of purple in the flower and this might be true but the colour of the leaves itself isn't right either as far as I can tell.

Hi David

WHat are your summer temperatures in Canberra? I love Miltoniopsis, but I think its too hot for them here in Brisbane perhaps. We get an average of 30c in mid summer, but of course the odd days are scorchers.

Brett

I'm wondering though if the colour balance is wrong in the picture below:

There is a lot of purple in the flower and this might be true but the colour of the leaves itself isn't right either as far as I can tell.

It is funny you ask that as the camera did not even get close to getting the colour right in this flower. It came out as a crimson red rather than a velvet red. I shot it in raw so I had to change the white balance quite a bit to match the colour right. I felt I got the colour pretty well spot on. It is an amazing velvety colour which I think is portrayed in the photo. I went to some effort to get the colour right in this photo as it is so unusual and beautiful.

Hi David

WHat are your summer temperatures in Canberra? I love Miltoniopsis, but I think its too hot for them here in Brisbane perhaps. We get an average of 30c in mid summer, but of course the odd days are scorchers.

Brett

Brett. We get temps above 30oC in Canberra but in my glasshouse it would rarely get hotter than this. Temps above 30oC will stress these plants out. They will probably survive a few days like this but you would want to keep them wet and humid. I have bought a few plants off John Robertson so he obviously grows them up there. So does John Woolf although he is at a higher altitude.

It is funny you ask that as the camera did not even get close to getting the colour right in this flower. It came out as a crimson red rather than a velvet red. I shot it in raw so I had to change the white balance quite a bit to match the colour right. I felt I got the colour pretty well spot on. It is an amazing velvety colour which I think is portrayed in the photo.

Thanks for the answers, I'll take back what I've said then. :eek:

Truly gorgeous! I especially love the Firewater & Rising Sun.
I don't have a lot of joy with those (they all seem to get that orange rot eventually), but I can't resist trying again and again. I'm waiting for my Xmas attempt to arrive this week. Can you suggest anything I can do to keep it alive?

:clap: :drool::drool::drool::drool: :clap:AWESOME!! I'm a sucker for red waterfalls!

Truly gorgeous! I especially love the Firewater & Rising Sun.
I don't have a lot of joy with those (they all seem to get that orange rot eventually), but I can't resist trying again and again. I'm waiting for my Xmas attempt to arrive this week. Can you suggest anything I can do to keep it alive?

Yes, I notice a lot of people have trouble with these. I've never lost a plant myself and I have quite a few now. They don't like extreme temperatures. Mine basically live with temps between 16oC and 30oC. They like a bit of shade and high humidity. The potting mix should be pretty moisture retentative and never allowed to dry out. They have fine roots so they need a fine mix. This year I moved to 50% chopped sphagnum - 50% coarse perlite and my plants look much better for it. A lot better root growth and bigger growths.

I think rot is a big problem in summer. Last year I had a couple of big plants lose a few growths to rot. Good air movement is important.

Good luck. :)

Why oh why oh why oh why did I give mine away :(
So so beautiful! Great growing!

This would have looked a lot better but unfortunately 5 or 6 flowers aborted for some reason. It has never happened before to me.]

Temps got too warm?

orchidhousephotocom.jpg

As they are on the bottom bench I have to bring them inside when flowering as the flowers will get ruined by the water.

onthetablecom.jpg

Nice displayes, good growing. what is the lowii hybrid (?) on the top right?

It is funny you ask that as the camera did not even get close to getting the colour right in this flower. It came out as a crimson red rather than a velvet red. I shot it in raw so I had to change the white balance quite a bit to match the colour right. I felt I got the colour pretty well spot on. It is an amazing velvety colour which I think is portrayed in the photo. I went to some effort to get the colour right in this photo as it is so unusual and beautiful.
It looks like there's a little cyan imbalance -- it's seen in the leaves and in the whites of the flowers. Otherwise, your photos are beautiful, David. They capture the beauty of these flowers wonderfully. And I'll bet you home is very fragrant with these flowers in it.

Latest posts

Back