Mexi different clones

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

polyantha

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Very often Mexies are either 'Oaxaca' or 'Windy Hill' clones. I wonder if one can distinguish the two clones.
In Europe very few Mexies are sold, so do all have the same source (f.ex. Popow)?

There is only one source location; but I remember 2 varieties being available and one having super giant, wide, leaves. Search thru photos here.

I was wondering the same thing, or are they identical and just collected from different areas? I was thinking of buying the two clones from orchid inn in spring and compare the differences myself.

Eric, can you tell me few words about differences between two clones?

I would like to hear what NYEric will say about this also.

All I like to say now is that my Oaxaca clone is not a compact grower...

When I went to ("He who shall remain nameless")'s in NYC he had a pot. I thought I had posted it somewhere. :eek: The leaves of the type were easily an inch wide and dark. i don't remember which cultivar it was. the other type has lighter color leaves and they are narrower.

Not sure how valid the growth habit thing holds up, since I've seen the same clone grow drastically different under different physical and chemical regimes.

Including in my own plant of oaxaca.

Here is a direct quote I got from Marilyn-

I got 2 different pieces of Mexipedium from one of the original recipients
of collected plants. First awarded was 'Oaxaca' CBR/AOS. 'Oaxaca' is the
name that recipient chose but I took the plant in for the award. 'Windy
Hill' HCC/AOS was the second piece which I had shared with Tom Larkin and he
took it for the award and named it 'Windy Hill'. To me, the flower is
prettier on 'Oaxaca'. On 'Windy Hill' the leaves generally are wider. I get
inquiries from overseas to buy them but I don't export.

Marilyn

The only award I can find is a CCE/AOS of 97 for 'Oaxaca' in June 2012 exhibited by Marilyn and Brian.

Latest posts

Back