Do your homework. Hone your skills. Cattleya orders from SVO

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David B

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This post was inspired by another post. I have been buying from SVO for a few years now. No one wants to grow a plant from a 2" pot to blooming years later and be disappointed. I have and it's a difficult lesson. Firstly to thine own self be true. Grow what grows well for you, yeah very important to know which species you can grow well, but also know that the species that are difficult for you can be grown perhaps as a primary hybrid with a species you grow well. This F1, F2 approach can be rewarding. I can't list all the ways I research, but the process is exceedingly educational . This is available to everyone, first look at Fred Clarke's breeding stock, study the parents, their successful progeny, go back a few generations if you can. Look at similar crosses, look at species percentage, look Worldwide, there are many sites in Europe carrying his crosses and information can be gleaned. Study the award benches in Taiwan, Japan, Australia and study particularly the award benches in the countries that your favorite plants are endemic to. When you spend money you want results, but for me bench space is paramount, it takes the same amount of effort, time and space to grow a crappy plant as it does for an awardable quality breeding plant. Anything you can do to stack the odds in your favour is worthwhile. Knowing the exact clones being used is also important, study and observe which clones produce consistent quality progeny. Below is a cross from Fred that I recently posted on Facebook Cattleya Hybridizing, I expect this flower to do well, I did not purchase this cross on a whim or whimsey. I expected this result. Oh and it's fragrant and has been open almost 2 weeks and shows no sign of fading, the flares have actually deepened with time. Cattleya Durban Rose 'Magnificent' x Cattleya Spirit Flare 'SVO Flare'.

Attachments

• Durban Rose 1dB.jpg
    Durban Rose 1dB.jpg
    548.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Durban Rose 1cB.jpg
    Durban Rose 1cB.jpg
    544.2 KB · Views: 3
Very good advice on selecting best parents for best results.

This Durban Spirit progeny is a stunner. Tell us a little your research on this particular cross and why you got it.

It is beautiful and I second Dr. Leslie in asking for you to tell us a bit of your research. I have bought several plants from Fred--heck, I bought from someone else at our show and those plants had the SVO label. They have been healthy and good growers but I'd like to know more about what the flowers will be like from the crosses made. Please help us.

Latest posts

Back