Lowii freak

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiwi

Reaction score
I got a flask of Paph. lowii 'New Horizon x Grand Masterpiece' from Sam a few years back and all but one of the seedlings are relatively uniform in size and colour. Except one. As shown in the photo one clone has grown a whole lot quicker and greener than the others. This one is very vigorous and the leaves much larger and wider (also stiffer) than the others. The one next to it is the next biggest from the flask. Can any one suggest a reason? Could it be 4N perhaps?

Kiwi,
Tetraploids (4N plants) tend to produce flowers that are better colored and larger than normal, but the flipside is that they tend to grow at a slower rate than
their normal counterparts. It seems to me that you just have a very vigorous
plant which in my book is a good thing. Jerry

I got a flask of Paph. lowii 'New Horizon x Grand Masterpiece' from Sam a few years back and all but one of the seedlings are relatively uniform in size and colour. Except one. As shown in the photo one clone has grown a whole lot quicker and greener than the others. This one is very vigorous and the leaves much larger and wider (also stiffer) than the others. The one next to it is the next biggest from the flask. Can any one suggest a reason? Could it be 4N perhaps?

I think, the big one is a healthy plant, the other small yellow leaved plants are not. I don't know any Paph with such less chlorophyll in the leaves.

Latest posts

Back