Jason Fischer & Scarlet O'Hara

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Achamore

Reaction score
Its taken ages for the Scarlet O'Hara bud to open, never seen a phrag bud take sooooo long. But happen to have a Jason Fischer (3N) in bloom as well, so thought it would be interesting to photograph them together, so one can compare the reds etc as the lighting isn't an issue. Scarlet O'Hara is Jason Fischer crossed again with besseae. Both plants came from Orchids Limited in Minnesota.

Very nice! Two of my favorite Phrags!!! SO saturated!

Gorgeous flowers and I appreciate the comparison. Both
are true reds without any orange tint in the red. Hmmm...
I love them both, but the one on the left says come to me.
Actually, both of them have that come hither look.

... and Jason Fischer x Memoria Dick Clements is Phrag Robert C. Silich (an Orchids Limited cross) and Robert C. Silich x besseae is Phrag Red Wing, another OL cross which they think is about as red and round as you can get in this line of breeding.

All of these are trying to hold on to symmetrical, full besseae shape while shifting to the red with the help of sargentianum.

I have seen all of these, including Scarlet O'Hara, at Orchids Limited and you can imagine the ideal we are all shooting for when you look at them.

Oh, I forgot - we want increased size, no spreading or rising-to-the-sky stolons, a plant that grows well without rot, starts blooming low on the spike, and creates two new growths off of each old growth.

Always hoping there is something better over the hill, I am now counting on a new seedling that is Phrag Memoria Dick Clements 'Rocket Fire' 4N x besseae 'Rob's Choice' 4N - a verified tetraploid Phrag. Jason Fischer that Orchids Limited released recently. Picture it - huge, round, red, long lasting flowers, non-stoloniferous, fast grower - not going to get all of these, so I guess there will have to be something new after that.

It won't end. What am I going to get rid of to have space?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Latest posts

Back