Interesting link:Paph druryi in the wild!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is terrific! I hope that all intrepid paph and phrag folk do this kind of in situ video for us in the future! Thanks for the link, Valenzino!

Yep, full sun. A different thing to read it or be told it than actually seeing it. Nifty. Note that the leaves are almost constantly jiggling around from the breeze though. Look deeper into the surroundings too. If it was hot and dry, we wouldn't see the green grasses etc in the background- they'd be brown. So, I'd have to say this area gets bright light, has a decent breeze, isn't hot enough to scorch the grass, and gets enough rain to keep the other vegetation happy. From our postings here, looks like druryi blooms from May to about August (and December in Oz, which is like June up here, right?). So we don't know from this video what fall and winter could be like... Have read druryi gets cool winters (~45-50 at night). Cool, thanks for sharing this.

Thanks for the link Valenzino!!
Great to see how this Paph grows in the wild!
Your comprehensive diagnosis is very exactly Ernie.

Yep, full sun. A different thing to read it or be told it than actually seeing it. Nifty. Note that the leaves are almost constantly jiggling around from the breeze though. Look deeper into the surroundings too. If it was hot and dry, we wouldn't see the green grasses etc in the background- they'd be brown. So, I'd have to say this area gets bright light, has a decent breeze, isn't hot enough to scorch the grass, and gets enough rain to keep the other vegetation happy. From our postings here, looks like druryi blooms from May to about August (and December in Oz, which is like June up here, right?). So we don't know from this video what fall and winter could be like... Have read druryi gets cool winters (~45-50 at night). Cool, thanks for sharing this.

I've read some accounts of hiking in the area, and getting into the 90's low 100's is not uncommon during the hot season.

But I've had good success with fast growth and anual blooming keeping this one just like exul. I've called it my cactus paph in the past.

Looks like the grass is dried up around the plant? I think the green in the background is actually distant bushes? The fact that it is green does not mean it does not get hot.

Researching further the fact that druryi is assocciated with a Euphorbia species(which one?) says something for it's culture.

Wow...and mine stays the same size, year in, year out. Right now it getting full sun in my cold room. This summer, I can finally give it some sun again outdoors...it had only been getting some morning sun, but the tornado took care of that. I'll give it as much as it can tolerate next summer...but I still bet that it won't grow any faster.

Thanks for posting - interesting to see this kind of plants - apparently much biggger than cultivated plants - foliage seems bigger and more consistent

Latest posts

Back