Incan Treasure

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
... Are you talking of White cedar mulch?

.... if you guys were talking about cedar mulch...

The true cypress mulch seems to be made from pond cypress (Taxodium ascenden)s and bald cypress (Taxodium distichum). But those trees don't grow in Canada. Here, some trees are sometimes called Cypress, like Jack Pine (Pinus banksiana).

I was wondering if the Shiva tried Cedar mulch (from Thuja). I never saw Cypress mulch in garden center in Quebec.
No not cedar, cypress. I realize there is cedar, as a garden mulch that didn't hold up any longer than other hardwoods! :p
The smaller print on the bag says ...contains cypress and other forest trees. So what % is cypress and what% is other forest trees? Don't know, all I can say is I'm not seeing differences that would indicate different species but ground up it might be hard to tell. I'll continue to use it, the plants are likin' it!

Update!

2nd flower opened yesterday & still holding the 1st, will it make it thru the weekend, OC meeting Sunday, fingers crossed!
006-12.jpg

Easily available in Quebec, Shiva? Are you talking of White cedar mulch?

That was three years ago and I don't remember anymore what was written on the bag. The mulch is still in good condition and the Cattleyas are still growing in it. I will have to move them to larger pots soon. I'll go back to the garden center near Berthier where I bought the bag last time and see if it sells the same stuff. I'll let you know. :)

Back