Incan Treasure

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

goldenrose

I did it! kovachii 'Goliath' x longifolium, got compot from Chuck 7-7-07.
IncanTreasurepods001.jpg
IncanTreasurepods002.jpg
IncanTreasurepods003.jpg

Question - the first growth produced 2 pairs of leaves & did nothing, leaves are yellowing, so it's blooming on the second growth, it has 3 buds, would you snip it?

The new growth looks strong. Enjoy at least the two first flowers and the third too if the new growth doesn't show any sign of stress. Very pretty b/w.

I would not cut it off...enjoy it, it is beautiful!

The kovachii species tends to have the previous growth wither away very soon after the new growth begins to mature. The result is that the species does not maintain older growths.

Your flower looks like it has a lot of kovachii influence and so it probably has inherited the growth trait form the kovachii parent.

Besides the above, I think once the bloom phase has gotten to the point of yours most of the energy has already been spent to grow the spike and flower. It does not take much energy for the plant at this point to hold the spike. To save energy for the plant you would have needed to snip the spike sooner.

Let it bloom out and use all the pollen.

That's a beautiful Incan Treasure. Although I've not seen many, some just don't measure up to the expectations.
WOW that pouch is awesome! Great job photographing.

Thanks guys! I'm particularly happy with this one, the flower segments are balanced IMO and I love the fact that the edge of the pouch is handstitched!
I've seen some I don't care for but as we hear over & over, don't judge a flower by it's first bloom, especially a phrag! If this can only get better then it's a sure keeper!
I like this cross! Beautiful purple coloration.
I love the color & I'm not capturing it correctly on this pic. Tomorrow I'm going to try with a white background & hope for better natural lighting & not have to use a much supplemental.

Thanks for your input gonewild, makes sense!

Latest posts

Back