I can't believe it's really happening!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Dot,

Looks like a great set-up! Ours is similar, but using 70% shade cloth on the outside of the greenhouse. It's amazing how much it lowers the temp during periods of hot weather. Is that Aluminet? And what is your eventual light intensity on a sunny day?

Thanks, Tom

Hi Dot,

Looks like a great set-up! Ours is similar, but using 70% shade cloth on the outside of the greenhouse. It's amazing how much it lowers the temp during periods of hot weather. Is that Aluminet? And what is your eventual light intensity on a sunny day?

Thanks, Tom

Hi Tom,

It is aluminet. I know putting shadecloth on the outside is preferred, I just couldn't make it work for me. I'm not sure exactly what my light intensity reading is anymore, but I do know that the triple-pane tinted glass cuts the sun's intensity nearly in half. I also have very tall maple trees on the east side of the GH which shade it until about noon, and a big locust tree on the west side which gives shade after 4 pm. So it's the 4 hours of hottest sun I'm concerned about.

Apologies if you addressed this somewhere in the 40+ pages of the thread, but in your most recent pic, it appears that some of your strap-leafs are grown semi-hydro (S/H), and some are grown non-S/H. How did you decide which one to be S/H?

Apologies if you addressed this somewhere in the 40+ pages of the thread, but in your most recent pic, it appears that some of your strap-leafs are grown semi-hydro (S/H), and some are grown non-S/H. How did you decide which one to be S/H?

You may be seeing the deep clear S/H plastic pots on some of my Paphs and Phrags, but it's been over two years ago that I took all my slippers out of S/H. I still have a few plants from other genera in S/H, but I found that S/H didn't work well for me with my slippers.

You may be seeing the deep clear S/H plastic pots on some of my Paphs and Phrags, but it's been over two years ago that I took all my slippers out of S/H. I still have a few plants from other genera in S/H, but I found that S/H didn't work well for me with my slippers.

In the first pic, it's a hanging in-bloom strap leaf paph (my guess would be Paph Julius or some other cross with lowii).

Looks great, Dot. I, too, have had to get the light adjusted lately. I put whitewash on the roof. Much cooler now! I am still thinking of getting a strip of Aluminet for the seedling bench, and putting it on wires that I can use to pull it over the plants or back to let more light in.

I still have a few plants from other genera in S/H, but I found that S/H didn't work well for me with my slippers.

I am also having mixed results with semi-hydro with my phrags. Some are doing good and others have deteriorated so I've taken those out of semi-hydro. What did you notice with semi-hydro that made you switch back? Thanks.

I am also having mixed results with semi-hydro with my phrags. Some are doing good and others have deteriorated so I've taken those out of semi-hydro. What did you notice with semi-hydro that made you switch back? Thanks.
My theory is that even Phrag roots need to breathe. I may have left my plants in the same pots for too many years, and the roots filled in all the spaces between the PrimeAgra pellets. Since they couldn't breathe anymore, they rotted. Just a theory, understand, but they grew well for 2-3 years, and then the roots rotted. For my own growing conditions, I think the potting media I've been using seems to work best for me.

I see I neglected to respond to a couple questions -- :eek:

Looks great, Dot! I love how you have so many plants hanging.

Just out of curiosity (I didn't have time to search this thread for this info)...what are the dimensions of your greenhouse?
It is 16' x 26', 6 of the 26 is used for the photo corner and work area. So the growing area is 16' x 20.'

Everything still looks great! You are right about the shade cloth. It works best outside, but is still effective on the inside. Is it aluminet?
It is 30% aluminet. I know that for the most efficiency, it should be on the outside, but I coudn't come up with an inexpensive way to have it there, without just laying it on the surface which isn't a good idea, especially with ridge vents.

It is effective where it is, though. two days ago, the temperature got to 97ºF outside, but the warmest reading on the inside was 93ºF. Not a huge difference, but enough to keep me happy. Of course, the fans help...

Update:
I thought my Phrags may not be receiving enough air, as they were all on the same level on a bench. So I added a shelf, and now I can actually see leaves moving.

From back:

From front:

Latest posts

Back