I can't believe it's really happening!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, Dot! The weather system that dumped all that snow on you came my way too; but, by the time it got here, it was just rain....lots and lots and lots of rain! It snowed heavily this morning; but, none of it stayed. It just melted as as soon as it hit the ground. Are you in a snow belt?

Wow, Dot! The weather system that dumped all that snow on you came my way too; but, by the time it got here, it was just rain....lots and lots and lots of rain! It snowed heavily this morning; but, none of it stayed. It just melted as as soon as it hit the ground. Are you in a snow belt?
Well, for this storm we were! But usually there is more snow closer to Lake Michigan. But this time, that area is snow-free, and the length of mid-Michigan got dumped on.

You should see all the broken trees and branches down around here because of all the wet stuff.

Nice to have a tropical paradise to retreat to when the cold gets to be too much.:D
Total agreement here!

You should see all the broken trees and branches down around here because of all the wet stuff.

That's a bummer! The heavy snow and ice can really do a lot of damage and it takes the trees so long to recover. Your greenhouse is so attractive. It must be very nice to be out there when the sun is shining on all the white snow around you.

What a marvellous greenhouse you have Dot. And it really shines in the snow.

Something new has been added: 30% shade cloth

Last Summer, we had a couple of weeks of really hot weather, and really hot sun beating into the greenhouse. So I thought, and thought, and thought -- do I need shade cloth? If so, should I put it inside or outside???

I decided yes -- I don't need a lot of shading, but I wanted to diffuse the sun a little more than what the tinted windows do. Putting it on the outside is supposed to be the best option, but it would have been prohibitively expensive to rig a system that could be easily assembled and disassembled each season. So I opted to put it inside.

I'm amazed at it's effectiveness already. I installed it three days ago, and for the past two days, although the temperature at plant level read 77ºF and 79ºF, the ridge vents, which are set at 82ºF opened. So I have great hopes that that little bit of shading will help keep the plants a little cooler when the hot weather returns.

View from the door:
ShadeCloth-fromNorth.jpg

View from the back (I had to splice together 3 photos to make this image):
GH-Panorama-April-2012.jpg

The plant on the right is not shaded, so you can see the effect of 30% shading:
ShadeCloth-fromSouth.jpg

Looks great, Dot! I love how you have so many plants hanging.

Just out of curiosity (I didn't have time to search this thread for this info)...what are the dimensions of your greenhouse?

Back