I am no good, but what am I?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, let me object to this statement!!!
Round about 15 years ago there was a picture of a Woessner Bellsand (which…you might have guessed is bellatulum x sanderianum) on a German orchid magazine. At the time!!!, and I want to underline the “at the time” bit… and in my view, that was one of the finest and most beautiful Paphiopedilum Hybirds I had ever come across. Needless to say that such plants were completely unavailable, and the breeder (Glanz) point-blank refused to remake the cross. I did try to reason with him, I did offer him money, I tried everything! By now I do know that this cross produces 99,5% monsters, and 0,5% decent plants. I don’t give a damn about all this! I have even tried to remake it myself twice, but I got no seeds from the pods. I can appreciate all the difficulties around sanderianum hybrids. But….: not all of them are doomed. In fact, if I had a few more strong sanderianums available…I’d do it all again. Be it for ending up with one perfect plant! So what, I’ll stick the rest in the bin.

I don’t have the magazine available right now, but if anyone knows which plant I’m talking about…maybe you could post the picture here? I think it’s worth in general terms to show that sanderianum x Brachy doesn’t mean rubbish all the time!!!

Why waste all that time John? Just buy the one and only beautiful plant that exist?

..... I guess there's always someone that will breed sandie to anything :(

It is short-sighted to see the poor outcomes of first generation sanderianum crosses as failures. If you want to get long petals on attractive flowers with a variety of colors and paterns, on smaller plants, or any other benefit of hybrids, of course it will take more than one generation of breeding. The mind set that expects the first generation of such crosses to be an improvement over either parent is just the wrong way to look at it.

I'd have loved to do that Rick!!!
Sadly the owner didn't need my money, and just wouldn't sell.

I will update pic when second flower open
BD
Picture088a.jpg

Did someone already get it right??? Or are we still guessing??? I think it's concolor X sandy.

We all can have our own opinions & the fun begins when we disagree! :evil:
Well, let me object to this statement!!!
Round about 15 years ago there was a picture of a Woessner Bellsand ......
I do know that this cross produces 99,5% monsters, and 0,5% decent plants. I have even tried to remake it myself twice, but I got no seeds from the pods. I can appreciate all the difficulties around sanderianum hybrids. But….: not all of them are doomed.....
:confused: are you sure about that? As far as I'm concerned mother nature is giving you &/anyone else one big strong hint!

It is short-sighted to see the poor outcomes of first generation sanderianum crosses as failures. If you want to get long petals on attractive flowers with a variety of colors and paterns, on smaller plants, or any other benefit of hybrids, of course it will take more than one generation of breeding. The mind set that expects the first generation of such crosses to be an improvement over either parent is just the wrong way to look at it.
You're right, could be short-sighted but when we already have good 1st & 2nd generation sandie hybrids why go backwards? Do you really think by taking 2 steps backwards, or more, the outcome could be better than what we have now? If your answer is yes then by all means go for it! (It doesn't bother me to be wrong, I'd love to say damn was I wrong!) .......
But then we're back to-
Why waste all that time John? Just buy the one and only beautiful plant that exist?
We know the plant was not available, it probably croaked after blooming. Hmmm .... wonder why Glanz wouldn't remake it? ......
Oh I get the hint! :poke:

second flower is worst than the first ... Does anyone one else have a picture of this cross to compare
Thanks,
BD
Picture088b.jpg

Latest posts

Back