How's the weather?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice and comfortable today, despite a few thunderstorms. Gradually moving my plants outdoors.

Welcome back. It's a little cool to be doing much of that yet...:eek:

We just had our first night below zero. Dropped to -3C last night. I am a bit scared to go to the greenhouse as I don't heat, so who knows how cold my plants got last night!
It's good weather for your micranthums and armeniacums!

Jean in China? You go Marco Polo! :)
.... and after a whole lot of rain the sun came out and it's supposed to be 70's 40's in eastern va for a week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A cold front is moving in, forecast is for -3 tomorrow, with similar weather for the next few days, no heating in the greenhouse, may need to start burning baskets?

I can one-up on the biting critters, Dot. Ticks...thousands of them everywhere. A good mix for biting critters is lemon grass oil, peppermint
oil and eucalyptus oil. Ten drops of each in a pint of water with a spray
thingy. It really works, doesn't poison you and doesn't smell too bad. A
TX friend told me about it and I am forever grateful.

I can one-up on the biting critters, Dot. Ticks...thousands of them everywhere. A good mix for biting critters is lemon grass oil, peppermint
oil and eucalyptus oil. Ten drops of each in a pint of water with a spray
thingy. It really works, doesn't poison you and doesn't smell too bad. A
TX friend told me about it and I am forever grateful.
Not so sure -- all around here are warnings about deer ticks this year. There are probably lots of them in the woods. Hopefully, not so many in our lawn and perennial beds. But we have a pond and a river. Mosquitoes love it here. They think they own this property!

I'll have to try your repellent. At least it should smell good!

Hear about a new one today, NYC ticks. One of the Engineers from our site found 4 one his way home!! He said at least they are very big so you can see them easily!! :eek:

Specifically for ticks, the eucalyptus oil is the vital ingredient for repelling
them. The damn things seem to be falling off trees here....creeps! Since
I've been spraying us and the dogs, we've not had one tick bite and we
live deep in the woods. I don't like using Deet and other such poisons, so
the oils mixture is a blessing. Be sure to buy essential oils and not fake
stuff. essentialoil4cheap.com is fast and not expensive.

Walking on the farm, I rub my legs with turpentine grass, one of the grass species which grows in the over grazed areas. Although it does not prevent ticks latching on, it sure reduces the number.

To cold to b outside, but had to see if all was well after this coldfront with its terrible winds hit us last night. Surprise of the day, a lamb was born during the night. nature is fantastic. she is cold and still damp, but looking great!!!!!

Cooler and sunny today, improvement over the gale (and 49f temps) blowing off of Lake Ontario right where we were taking pictures of arethusa bulbosa yesterday. You could hear the waves crashing into the shore from where we were photoing on the bog/fen

And improvement over the 90f temps and over 80% usual humidity down in central va; back to work in nj tomorrow and is good since mid week va temps are supposed to creep near 95-100f (!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back