Hi Hopes.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roy

Reaction score
Some pics of forthcoming spikes for the spring and some pollen swapping.
#1 P. praestans
praestans.jpg

#2 P. philippinense....haven't flowered this one before.
philippinense.jpg

#3 hirsutissimum v. esquirolei...1st flowering for me under my conditions and a fair sized flower sheath as well.
esquirolei.jpg

Rick, a funny thing about the praestans, its was an outcross or selfing?? and I bought it from a grower in the Nth of Austr' where the climate is more natural for the plant. He had 2 plants the same size. My plant flowered 2 years before his did and was a better flower. To this day he can't work out how I did it with much less conditions than he. ( I laughed it little over that )
A pic of the first flowering, one flower only unfortunately.
praestans.jpg

Nice assortment, first off. Those are some of my all time favorites. Second, is that white coloration on photo #3, on the sheath and the surrounding leaves shine from the camera, hard water spots or, god forbid, powder from mealy bugs?

Nice assortment, first off. Those are some of my all time favorites. Second, is that white coloration on photo #3, on the sheath and the surrounding leaves shine from the camera, hard water spots or, god forbid, powder from mealy bugs?

Julia, thats a little fungicide residue. Particularly on hirsutissimum or esquirolei I use a surface fungicide to help protect from sheath or bud blasting. There are a few mealy bug about but mostly under control.

Latest posts

Back