Hangianums for sale in Florida

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You see, that's the difference between dogs and cats. Dogs will actually guard a property. My cats, on the other hand, only need a burglar to scratch them behind the ears and then they'll lead them to where the valuables are hidden. ;)

Guilty? Nope, we all had an equal opportunity.

Ernie, I agree with your recommendation. I think what I will take from how they are potted now is that hangianum doesn't like to stay wet.

I'll post pictures when they bloom

Gary

Hmmm, consider where they were... Florida, right? I'd guess the grower used the sphagnum peat moss mix so they didn't have to water constantly. I can see bark mixes drying really quick in FL. Okay for pseudobulb-ous things, but not for slippers. Just a guess. I'd grow them just like any ther Parvi if I had any. They are supposed to be tougher than emersonii (not saying much there). Maybe our Canadian, European, and Australian friends can lend a hand.

-Ernie

I grow mine in Coconut and Perlite and let them get to just moist before watering again. They grow well in that for me. Both of mine are just approaching blooming size.

Bag? :rollhappy:
Better bring a shopping cart! Mastiffs can weigh as much as 250 lbs.
(And no, they are not mine, but they worked well in the response)
:rollhappy::rollhappy: a friend of mine use to have 4-5 mastiffs & lived in Chicago, on a postage size lot! It's the minefield they'd leave that I'd be more concerned about!

Ernie has met my beasts, a 120 pound malemute-shepard mix and at the time a 70 pound Siberian Husky. And Ernie has seen the back yard. I swear it seems like 100 pound of dog food in, 200 pounds out into the yard - how do they do that?

My plant grows in fine bark + charcoal + perlite/sponge rock and dolomite lime. Watering approx 5 days, so just as the bark is drier/moist, but not completely dried (like my other paphs). Mine has three leaves and its sending its spring leaf. 9 inches across.
My hangianum hybrids are faster, but the species isn't deathly slow. I can't compare hangnianum to emersonii since I've never had one. I've messed up on other paphs, but not this one so I am happy :)

Your new hangianums approach BS, they look the size like the photos of plants in bloom to me. But I've never seen a bloom in person so I can be wrong.

There is another cross available for sale that I don't have. I'm debating. Its stonei x hangianum. I wonder how fast it grows.
My rothschildianum x hangianum is three growths now, and grows well:) But the leaf span is probably not BS.

My only observation so far is that the spike on my Chou Yi Yuki (hangianum x niveum) is sloooow

Hmmm, consider where they were... Florida, right? I'd guess the grower used the sphagnum peat moss mix so they didn't have to water constantly. I can see bark mixes drying really quick in FL. Okay for pseudobulb-ous things, but not for slippers. Just a guess. I'd grow them just like any ther Parvi if I had any. They are supposed to be tougher than emersonii (not saying much there). Maybe our Canadian, European, and Australian friends can lend a hand.

-Ernie

I was under the impression that stuff in Florida stays wetter due to high humidity and more rain. So mixes needed to be more open and better draining.

Also the bottom half of the pot is packing peanuts, which is part of the reason for concluding that they don't like to stay too wet.
Gary

There is a good post on the other slipper orchid forum from someone from Italy who has been growing them from flask for a # of years. You an go there to read it, but he uses a very open mix ( mostly rock and perlite type stuff) that dries quickly and they are watered frequently.

With comparison to emersonii, I was suprised that they seem to by light and heat adverse. Once moving over near the wet pad at phal light levels, mine took off. I would think this would be more important for flasklings than adult plants too.

Latest posts

Back