Guess the Primary Hybrid

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emydura

Reaction score
Here is an old primary hybrid rarely seen. In fact I can't find a photo of it on the internet so maybe it is a first. See if you can guess the parents.

I like the spots on this one. The plant looks like it could send out a couple more flower spikes soon.

It was hard to get this one to flower. I have had it for many years now and it is the first time I have got it to flower. I was thinking it was going to be one of those plants that never flowers. The next generation of growths are enormous as well. Double the leaf width of the one flowering and longer. The new fertiliser I assume.

insigne is easy to recognize. For the leaf pattern and the spotted petals I guess wardii as the second parent.

Paph. Alfred Bleu (P. insigne x ciliolare) or Miniatum (P. insigne x curtisii) or Thorntonii (x superbiens).

Ramon

Umlauftianum (insigne x lawrenceanum) or Mademoiselle Madeline Gayot (insigne x dayanum) ?.

Paph. Alfred Bleu (P. insigne x ciliolare) or Miniatum (P. insigne x curtisii) or Thorntonii (x superbiens).

Ramon

Well done Ramon. It would be hard to differentiate those three crosses so I will pay that. Paph Thorntonii (insigne x superbiens). Registered in 1887.

The superbiens influence is not obvious (especially without the purple colour coming through) but can be seen. The flower is big, larger than an insigne. The pouch is expecially big - way bigger than my insigne's. Superbiens also has lots of small spots on the petals.

It was hard to get this one to flower. I have had it for many years now and it is the first time I have got it to flower. I was thinking it was going to be one of those plants that never flowers. The next generation of growths are enormous as well. Double the leaf width of the one flowering and longer. The new fertiliser I assume.

Gives me hope….

Back