Guess the Paph. Species

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tocarmar

Reaction score
I just received these two. They are small w/about a 6-7 inch leaf span. Light mottled leafs. The 1st is in high bud!! It will be open in a few days.

2004_0122newbies61080009.jpg

The 2nd is in low sheath!!

2004_0122newbies61080008.jpg

Tom

could it be something like godefroyae var. album and/or niveum var. album ?

Paul,
Nope, neither 1 it is not an alba form even though it looks like it in the pic. It has a little bit of yellow on the side petals.

Tom

I've also seen it referred to as the natural cross of niveum x godfroyae (Greyii)...and this plant looks exactly like plants I have had labeled ang thong......Eric

I've also seen it referred to as the natural cross of niveum x godfroyae (Greyii)...and this plant looks exactly like plants I have had labeled ang thong......Eric

I agree Eric and Greyi is the man made version of P. ang-thong.
I was thinking that this plant in question may be P. thaianum but the plant is way too big for it by heaps.

I agree Eric and Greyi is the man made version of P. ang-thong.
I was thinking that this plant in question may be P. thaianum but the plant is way too big for it by heaps.

I agree!!!

Ramon:)

ya, godefroyae var. ang-thong f. album and.. i dunno, is one of them a thaianum..

Then, actually the person who first guessed godroyae is correct( the first poster, Paul) as Ang-thong isn't recognized as a specie.:poke:

From Tanaka's site:
"Until shown to be otherwise, plants known as Paph. x ang-thong will be accorded cultivar status in the register as Paph. godefroyae 'Ang-thong' rather than listed as Paph. Grayi, which apparently is not a nomenclatural or biological equivalent. A search of all grexes registered with Paph. Grayi as a parent has revealed that the following grexes are derived from Paph. godefroyae 'Ang-thong'."

It could be one "semi-album" ang-thong as the leaves are very pale, don't you think?

I think most consider anthong a natural hybrid between niveum x godfroyae. It is basically Greyii. Like Lola bird and glanzii. It is not a godfroyae. Put it this way if you bought a godfroyae album and got an anthong album you would be pissed right? So they are different. How taxonomists classify them, I don't know what the excepted terms are. But for practical purposes they are genetically different.

Latest posts

Back